Peak Registers

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Peak Registers

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Kaweah Queen is only a glass jar with a single piece of paper someone put in it. If you can replace that with something better it would be good.

I never looked for a register on Pyra Queen Col. So it might be there or not.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I actually read about that in another report. Thanks for the reminder. If no one does it before I head up there this summer I'll be sure to pack in a notebook. What's another couple ounces when I'm already carrying 14 days worth of food, camera gear, and possibly an ice axe? haha :D
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pulldownfrenzy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Pulldownfrenzy »

One comment that I didn't see anywhere else:

If you replace a peak register, make sure you include a strong PENCIL instead of a pen. Many's the time when I have reached the top of a satisfying climb only to find the (sometimes several) pens in the summit register have gone dry. I climbed an especially satisfying rock out in away from shore along HWY 1 called Slate Spire and everything there had been corroded to nothingness because of the salt mist. A pencil never will, and it can always be resharpened with a pocket knife.
Cheers!
-Dominic
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dominic,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for your input on the subject.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org