1 to 2 night backpack trip (lake) suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 1 to 2 night backpack trip (lake) suggestions

Post by Silverfox »

markley wrote:Great! Thanks!
Do you know if I would go through Inyo for a permit for Dusy Basin? or SEKI?
You would get your permit from Inyo Nat. Forest since you are entering from the East.

Silverfox
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by seanr »

Should be Inyo NF with easiest trailhead to get there South Lake. It is popular, but TR's can point you to the best options there. North Lake and Sabrina THs have great hike and backpack options too if you have trouble getting the permit you hope for. Walk-ins are explained on the website as well. Study up if you can on SEKI fish lakes where fish have been killed off by NPS.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

Right on! It looks like the Inyo wilderness permit page is down at the moment. I'll try again tomorrow. How many nights would you recommend to go up to Dusy Basin? From what I can gather it looks like about 10-12 miles from South Lake? Was thinking 2 nights.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

AlmostThere wrote:Generally, east side snobs don't get over here much - we love our west side and it's got no end of Sequoia groves and nice shady spots, rather than hiking from the desert to 10,000 feet in the open sun for a day....
Well said. Both have their merits.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Markley, yes, if you know you would both enjoy being out for 2 or more nights, plan for that. If you rush you could do that trip in an overnight, but then you might not have time to fish and might feel challenged rather than relaxed. You see all those lakes on the east side of Bishop Pass, right? The hiking becomes stunningly beautiful a short distance from the trailhead in that area (same story in many other areas mentioned). You could spend your first night near one of those and then climb over Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin the next morning. There are plenty of TR's and tips if you use the search function. Alternately, if you feel up to it, head over Bishop Pass on Day 1, and set up camp near a scenic lake well off the main trail. Day 2 you could carry a daypack to explore Dusy Basin more or, if comfortable, cross over Knapsack Pass to Barret Lakes/Palisades Basin. You could also check out Ladder Lake area, if really energetic on a day hike from base camp, or more easily if taking 3-4 nights.

The less permits you have to obtain and the more time you spend in the backcountry, the more time you have to travel off main trails to garner solitude. Furthermore, the less you have to make plans on where to campground or disperse camp.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

Well it looks like the all of the permits for the "Bishop Pass-South Lake" (to go to Dusy) are reserved for the time we will be there. Any opinions on the following: Sabrina Lake (to go to Midnight Lake, Hungry Packer, and surrounding lakes), Treasure Lakes-South Lake, Golden Trout Lakes, and Big Pine Creek North Fork.

Thanks
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I've mentioned many times that I grew up in the Bay area - the nascent Silicon valley - and moved to SoCal for college. As a kid, my dad's favorite spot was the Valley, and on my own I've been up to the major spots in Kings & Tahoe. (I lived in a pup tent in Tahoe the summer after I graduated.) More so, for literally decades I have made the run up the 5 and back down the 101 endless times to visit family that still live in NorCal.

Suggesting the E side passes isn't snobbery, it's just common sense to visitors from SoCal. The roads are incredibly rutted & traffic is really bad now on the 5/99 (oh, don't forget the 80 through Sac) to make travel both slow & dangerous. (The big rigs stack up the right lane, so the speedsters absolutely jam on the left and then dive in between the trucks to "pass". How do I know?) But to make matters worse, you still gotta get through/out of LA. Aye carumba. That's why the 395 is the ticket, pure and simple. It's easy for the two of you coming from Fresno to suggest all your backyard spots, but for everyone else, it's a trek unto itself.

As for reservations, there's a simple rule that applies to everything in life: the Pareto principle aka 80/20 rule. Whether it's 20% of the sales reps generate 80% of the commissions, or 20% never get the command down the line, it also applies to reservations ie long-term plans. There are always cancellations - if you're willing to take a bet, the worst case scenario is you drive out to a hotel. But if you want to try for the Lodge (hands down the best gig/deal going), then you gotta go with the wait list. If you've got the funds, the Ahwahnee is a good back-up (ask me why I know this). But the bottom line is you have to be physically present to get your name on wait lists (eg Half dome).

One last thing: Inyo FS controls the E side passes. Not to promote 'law breaking', but they are orders of magnitude less strict about impromptu 'car camping'. As AT says, you can't do it in the parks; and since they have more funds and a more rigid ranger hierarchy, they are more prone to 'following the rules'. The E side is loosey-goosey - what they're really looking to prevent are people setting up equip & staying multiple nights. So, if you're transient and on your way, it would take someone with a major chip to create a problem.

The comments/observations above are a direct result of being a CA native who has seen the state double in population size with the concomitant impact on the environment. The recommendations are solutions born of figuring out the gaps ie how to get on.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

I appreciate your comments/suggestions Hobbes! Having never been out to California, and only have heard of the mess of driving in LA, I really have no idea what to expect. I understand that our plans our very ambitious (to visit both the west and east side) for a two week trip, which is why I am on here seeking suggestions. While I really don't mind driving through beautiful scenery, I'd rather try to at least limit our time spent in the congestion of the highways and main parks. We have been through Yellowstone a number of times and experienced the crowds. There's a reason parks are like these are so crowded and that it is the sheer beauty (which is the trade-off for the crowd density). While I have to at least visit the parks while we are there, I'd much rather spend the majority our time away from the hotspots. Which is why the east side is really appealing to me. We tend to just go with the flow and don't like to have to many plans. I like the idea of being able to just pull over and sleep in the van if it gets too late, rather than drive around searching for a campground. Hence the reason we are renting a campervan.
Last edited by markley on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The bottom line is, if you aren't from "around here," there's a very good chance of wandering aimlessly if you have nothing in place for the night.

It'll happen on the east side, west side, north side, or south side. The up side, the down side. Having a place to go gives you peace of mind unless you're okay with just plopping down in a pullout. The absolute frustration of driving without a clue of where you can stop despite all your research (this has happened to me, and has happened to others - we let a family have a campsite one evening in Lee Vining area, when they rolled in at 11 pm with a van load of crying children and the absolute worst expressions of exhaustion I've ever seen, after they drove 15+ hours hunting in vain through Yosemite, over Tioga Pass, and down the other side from full campground to full campground - we were crowded but they were overgenerous in reimbursing us).

If you haven't been to Yosemite at all it's a perfect place to start the Sierra addiction. But, if the spots aren't there, there are plenty of places to go until after September when the crowds go home and the campsites are all first come, first serve. Winter is the very best time for the claustrophobe to visit the valley floor and walk the loop in relative solitude. You won't be river rafting or lounging in shorts, but you will get first hand the peace and quiet that the Sierra can offer.

Go up the 168 into the mountains. National Forest land for miles, and plenty of legit free camping to be had. Trailheads all over. Hot springs. Good fishing at Courtright and Dinkey Lakes. Visit the McKinley grove of Sequoias.

Go up 41 and head out to Nelder Grove, Bass Lake, Beasore Road, and trailheads into Ansel Adams Wilderness.

Go up to Camp Nelson and wander around in the Belknap complex. Get a reserved spot at Quaking Aspen. Wander the trail of the 100 giants and hike trails into Golden Trout.

There's plenty to see.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

Thanks again AT! Your suggestions have also been very helpful! I do plan on reserving at least one night in Yosemite so we can day hike and not worry about trying to find a spot to camp. I also may make a reservation somewhere along Tioga (on the way to the east side) as a just in case and just take a hit if we don't make it there.

And speaking of hot springs..my buddy was recommending Mono Hot Springs. Is there "free" camping up around that area?