GPS Units?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
dylanmcmanus
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: GPS Units?

Post by dylanmcmanus »

InsaneBoost wrote:
Steve_C wrote:After giving away a 10-year-old Garmin unit that was just plain too hard to use, I finally decided to try again.

I acquired a Garmin Oregon 600, and started trying it out. There is still a considerable learning curve, but I managed to get started. What really surprised me, though, is that for real mountain navigation, I had to purchase the topo map CD, another $100! :eek:

Once I ran the installation on my Windows 7 computer, I can select map sections and load them into the Garmin unit.

I also used gmap4 to build several tracks I wanted to use, and I was able to actually follow the track when I was out mountain biking last week. I still have lots to learn, but at least it is a useable unit now.
That's one thing I noticed that I wasn't too fond of. Having to pay another $100 for the maps.

Also have the garmin oregon 600 with the 24k west map set (I think this is the map name). STEEP learning curve and I am a well versed techy guy.
Flatlander
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Flatlander »

I have a Garmin 62s and absolutely love it. I did tons of research before I bought mine. I didn't want to use my phone because it drains your battery super quick and I didn't want a touch screen because they area harder to use in bad weather.

The 64 was nice but I couldn't justify the cost compared to the 62. I didn't get one with a camera, because I don't need a camera and I didn't get the "T" version because you can get free maps online. Definitely get 24k maps, the 100k are useless.

You can look at http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com for map chips. They are expensive but are super detailed and show public land as we all private land with owner information.

Www.Gpsfiledepot.com has tons of free maps also.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have no shame in saying that after I paid so much money for the Garmin Oregon 550 I then pirated the 24K West maps off the net for free. :littledevil:

After 6 years of use and my screen being very beat up I bought the Garmin Oregon 600 for this summer. I'm sure it will treat me well.

Battery life can be an issue with some people. I always found that when using Lithium or Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable batteries if I tracked all day long while I hiked I would get about 3 days out of the batteries. These days though I only turn the thing on now and again while I rest for interest and doing this makes the batteries last between 2 week resupplies without a problem. As a result I never carry spares anymore.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

I have been using Gaia GPS on my iPhone 5 for the past year, I think its its pretty stellar. You download maps prior to your trip. They are USGS topos, you can also download USFS raster maps. On my most recent trip to Woodchuck Lake I used Delorme InReach SE, paired via Bluetooth to my phone. The maps on the Delorme app are free and of reasonable quality, probably similar to GPS file Depot (though with less detail) that I had on a Garmin Eurex Vista HCX i used the past couple of years.

In terms of battery life for the Delorme, with tracking set to 30 minute intervals for a full day of hiking (6-8 hours), sending/receiving 3-5 messages per day, the average battery drainage seemed to be 6-8% per day.

Screen shot of Delorme Map app vs Gaia GPS app of same area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I've been using a Garmin Etrex 20 for the last year and really like it. It doesn't calculate elevation gain, and that's one feature that would be nice but I don't need the other added features that come on the Etrex 30 or more advanced models. I especially did not want a GPS with a touchscreen - I like my buttons. I had a Garmin Vista HCX for about 5 years and it had served me well until the last year I had it when it increasing had problems with accuracy - it started to enjoy telling me I was someplace other than where I really was fairly often. I don't know what changed that caused the problems with the unit. The Etrex 20 is much more accurate with the better satellite tracking system and doesn't have much trouble even under heavy tree cover. I have the Garmin 24K maps on a microSD card plugged into the unit. The Etrex 20 has a pretty long battery life; so I like that too.