Thieves Ransack / Loot MTR, Florence Store, Other Buildings

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thieves Ransack / Loot MTR, Florence Store, Other Buildi

Post by Jimr »

let alone doing it when you're playing a fish.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Sssdave

Strongly disagree with your theory. California does not have a monopoly on lowlifes. They are everywhere and the worst are the super conservative radical ones who think the government doesn't have the authority to regulate their behavior.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Back a few months ago, a thread somewhere here asked us, what would be some the effects/results of the Strayed, PCT movie - Wild?

In the book, (never saw the damn movie), a drug addict, POS, city trash ventures out of her inner-city comfort zone and discovers value, hidden away in the wilderness. While we never learn whether her new-found, trail ethics stuck after completing her part of a "section hike"...(actually a pretty crappy book, IMHO), the book did showcase what real hikers already knew about - the many benevolent trail-angels, opening up their Sierra homes (showing/sharing their belongings) with honest dirt bag hikers.

Now, apres Wild, the POS trash also know - what's inside those Sierra dwellings, and what happens to the facilities when the season ends/closes up for the winter.

This is one result.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

There are many types and degrees of lowlifes, and they are everywhere. Unfortunately.

Bringing it back to the topic, not sure what flavor of lowlife this person or these people is/are but I can certainly think of a million and one unique and gratifying wilderness ways of punishment that I'd throw my support behind. It's a bummer that people like this in our society ruin things for everyone else. Now there's a real likelihood that some future stranded winter traveler will need to seek refuge in one of those buildings, but may not have that option as others before him/her have.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Eric wrote:
Now there's a real likelihood that some future stranded winter traveler will need to seek refuge in
one of those buildings, but may not have that option as others before him/her have.
Would hope this will not be the consequences of these fools actions, it would be horrible if lives were lost
because of someone injured or lost could not gained access and perished because of hypothermia.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Markskor

This is nothing new. I always left a window unlocked at my ranger station when I left at the end of the season. One year a sweater and a day pack was missing when I returned. It was a good thing my beer and fishing rod were untouched or I would have tracked the dirty bastard down!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I didn't see this post earlier, but that's downright disturbing. :angry: :angry: Its not right anywhere, but it pisses me off even more when it happens at places like the JMT Ranch. I hope the other resorts were left unscathed.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Looking at SSSDave's post, then Old Ranger's- I think we have a bigger problem with personal safety and lawlessness in California than we used to, and I think most would agree with that who have lived here awhile. That is why bad things are happening, even in the backcountry, at places that should be respected and left alone by all.
I think the downward spiral in our state is seen every time the government suggest more regs to take guns and ammo....then what happens, there is a run on guns and ammo. People know by instinct that they have to protect themselves and their families. Yes, it is bad in other states, but there is not much comfort in that, and I do think some places are safer and have less crime than others!

Personally, I don't know any super conservative radical people who think the government should not regulate any of their behavior, but I see a conservative when I look in the mirror. Maybe it is time to just throw anyone who isn't a progressive into a camp and reeducate us morons, or just kill us like some on the left are beginning to suggest, especially if we are Christian. Stinking conservatives! How dare they express an opinion that is different from those who regulate and rule us?

:soapbox:
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

And yet almost all violent crimes are down over the past twenty years.

Of course, it could just be that the media makes a bigger deal out of these things than it used to.

Nah....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

FWIW, it's extremely rare for anyone (including resort owners) to be up there during winter months whether to protect the properties or for other reasons. Also, missing items include at least one old shotgun, a collectible rifle and ammo. Whether or not the jerks were armed to begin with, they certainly are now. Unless those items are now on Ebay, which is probable.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix