Hiking With Dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Hiking With Dogs

Post by InsaneBoost »

Hopefully this is the right place to ask. A family member has a disability and needs a dog to walk with them. How does this work for the trails in National Parks that are not dog friendly.

Is there an exception due to the disability? Or do they flat out not want dogs on trails no matter.

I assume due to the disability act they would be okay, but I'm not sure if things change in the National Parks so wanted to know if anyone might know.

Thanks.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking With Dogs

Post by rlown »

http://usparks.about.com/library/weekly/aa042598.htm

at the end of this article, there is this tidbit:
At national parks and at other federal sites, guide dogs and hearing-assistance dogs are not considered pets, so regulations governing their presence are far less restrictive. Some parks, however, require you to register these animals upon your arrival.
I'd recommend calling ahead to the park you're heading towards and ask..

EDIT: My thought is they're going to ask you if the dog is certified for the disability need.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks. The dog is registered and all of that. I'll make sure we call and check.

I don't know how you all find these things so easily and I cant ](*,)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

google is my search buddy. I took what you posted and drilled down into "pets disability NPS" If you do that search you'll find a LOT of stuff.

There's this one as well which might be more daunting: http://doglawreporter.blogspot.com/2014 ... s-new.html

Again.. call.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

You just need papers that says your dog is a service dog. When you run into backcountry rangers in the parks they will ask for the papers. I met a guy that hiked the whole PCT with his dog because he got papers saying it was a service dog. Although it was not. :p
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

that's actually not funny or cool to have fake papers. Sends the wrong message.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

That is exactly true. There are very real issues with dogs in the backcountry, even well=trained dogs.

Of course, there are issues with people in the backcountry too...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well the papers were quite real. But there was no service he actually needed of his dog. I seem to recall him saying he knew someone that was able to get the legal papers for him.

But of course in the end it's just so your dog can pass through a small area of the PCT such as SEKi and Yosemite. Most other areas allow dogs.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Well the papers were quite real. But there was no service he actually needed of his dog. I seem to recall him saying he knew someone that was able to get the legal papers for him.

But of course in the end it's just so your dog can pass through a small area of the PCT such as SEKi and Yosemite. Most other areas allow dogs.
Bad Vet... :(

OK, maybe not a vet: Did a search on service dog certification in Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=service ... 2&ie=UTF-8

umm. Right up there with medical MJ certs..
Last edited by rlown on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Anyone can have their dog trained as a service dog. The dog gets papers based on his ability. The question the ranger will have is not that you "faked" papers, but what disability do you have that requires a service dog. An official service dog has to be incredibly well trained. A dog that is trained at this level is no more of a problem in the wilderness than a well trained backpacker. And, of course, over half the "training" is training the master as well as the dog. Problem is that 95% of dog owners do not have a dog trained to those standards. (I would also say that 60% of backpacker are also not well trained.) The NPS has simply decided to totally ban dogs. I am sure there are a few fanatics who would ban all backpackers based on the fact that most are not well trained!

I would think in addition to the dog's papers, it would be wise to bring a medical statement from a doctor, that says the person needs the dog. A person who needs a service dog, and who also backpacks, is rare. But then I think a blind guy climbed El Cap with the help of "service climbers". Dogs still cannot climb 5.11.