Hunt VABM and Bald Peak in Death Valley

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Hunt VABM and Bald Peak in Death Valley

Post by Snow Nymph »

Saturday, 20 January 2007
Hunt VABM and a trip cut short

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/2380586#124762698

Tomcat met me on the SV Rd and we caravanned to Hunt Springs, hoping to do a loop trip to Hunter Mountain. About 40 min into the trip he said he wasn't feeling well so he turned back. I continued to Hunt VABM, climbed another hill on the way back and found him sleeping in his truck. We checked out the Hunter Cabin before leaving. On the way out we ran into Mtflyer, checking out plane crashes. I went with him to another one, not much there. Met NormaR at Wildrose and sat by the campfire til midnight!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Hunt looked like a pretty mountain. Cool rocks too. Sorry your weren't feeling well Tomcat.

Another great campfire! We are going to have to set an alarm clock to remind us to go to bed. We keep having too much fun!

Missed having your camera on Bald the next day. It was an indecent hike. Without her Canon, Snowy felt like she was hiking naked! :eek:

We descended through Junipers and had a parliament of Long Eared Owls flying around us. Thanks for identifying the species Rachel. Snowy found a cool old Kerr canning jar. Still closed tight with something dried out inside of it.

Norma
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Snowy, did you check to see if that was Tom in the jar.
Sorry Tom, hope you are feeling better.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

bummer to catch the flu - the Hunter Mountains have been calling to me for a coule years now. glad that Snowy at lesst bagged Hunt - I still think she should have done Jackass too.

I had to look twicce at one of your pictures - cuz the caption said a small rack - but it was only a picture from the neck up
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

SN..beautiful pictures! What a nice campfire you and Norma had it looks like :)

Hope you are feeling better Tom :)
Love those Monkeys :D :D
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

drove over to Emigrant Rd. today and bagged Bald Peak. I was supposed to do this peak two weeks ago with SnowNymph, NormaR, and Rachel - but the flu kept me home. It was a warm sunny day and I was quickly in short sleeves enjoying the great weather. A little over 4 hours total round trip.

http://members3.clubphoto.com/tom103807 ... uest.phtml
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Glad you had a good day! So Bald faked you out too? We have to rename it ... Maybe Sneaky Peak?
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

if I had bothered to read the map ahead of time I would have realized - Bald being only 7760 feet - the "bumps" that I was aiming for were both over 8k feet - silly me for thinking my peak should have been the tallest spot in my path.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Norma R wrote:
Missed having your camera on Bald the next day. It was an indecent hike. Without her Canon, Snowy felt like she was hiking naked! :eek:

Norma

I felt so lost without that camera!

Tom, are you sending anymore of Rachel's pix? I only have a couple taken with my camera before/after the hike but received only 4 of Rachels. I asked her to take a few pix of stuff I wanted to post. And I didn't get ANY e-mails this weekend, so maybe my e-mail is messed up? I'll post our pix as soon as I get a few more of Rachels from Tomcat. :nod:

We also did what you did. I printed a different version of the Bald map, which didn't include the peaks around Bald (it was on the edge of the map). But I had the waypoint set. I was checking the GPS and it said something like 200' to the summit, pointing to the top of the ridge we were traversing. We headed straight up and found the register. Duh!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Sunday, 21 January 2007
Bald Peak from Christmas Mine, Death Valley

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/2388613#125209949

Rachel, NormaR and Snow Nymph dayclimbed Bald Peak. The road in Zdon's book was closed, so we drove up the road to Christmas Mine and started there. NormaR drove to the trailhead, and my camera was left in my truck. Rachel took the photos on this hike, except the ones before and after.