Kearsarge Pass today

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kearsarge Pass today

Post by jenreyn »

Hiked up to Kearsage today. Some snow but mostly melted out. Road is fine to TH. Hiked in trail runners although in the afternoon my feet got wet from some minor postholing. Nothing really skiable at this point, not even University Peak. There just isn't enough consistent coverage and snow.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ERIC on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling error in page title.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Kearsage Pass today

Post by gary c. »

Not at all what any of us would like to see. It seems to just keep getting dryer and dryer. Thanks for posting your pics. :(
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Re: Kearsage Pass today

Post by jenreyn »

Not what we want to see however its nice to know what is happening out there. Don't mean to depress everybody. Just want to share the current conditions for those thinking of getting out. Its the worse I've ever seen it this time of year and we thought last year was the worst!
seanr
Topix Regular

Re: Kearsarge Pass today

Post by seanr »

Thanks for putting up some more condition reports. When planning for spring break I normally research places like Death Valley NP or, if seeking snow, Carson Pass area. Both may already be mostly too hot and dry for my tastes this year and something different might be nice. A visit to the Eastside a few months earlier than normal is looking good at this point with Death Valley as a bailout option. I'll post what I find if it works out.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Thank you for showing the conditions.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
marymaryland
Topix Novice

Post by marymaryland »

Wow... thanks for posting a report. Do you have any pictures of University Peak/Pass?
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

University Peak had snow but not a lot. You would not be able to ski it. University Pass I didn't get a good look at however, looking up that drainage it had more snow than the drainage with Kearsage Pass.....My assumption is it would have some snow to be dealt with.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Wow! Thanks for the conditions update. Much appreciated.