Top of Taboose Pass yesterday

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Top of Taboose Pass yesterday

Post by jenreyn »

Hiked up the Taboose Pass Trail yesterday. Got a late start so had to turn around close to 10000ft. I believe you could technically go to the pass proper without much snow or difficulty as the picture linked shows. This is the top zoomed in from where we turned around. Just thought I'd share
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
seanr
Topix Regular

Re: Top of Taboose Pass yesterday

Post by seanr »

Thanks for posting! Absent major spring storms, giving some of the low elevation trailheads a try next month is very tempting.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

Unbelievable... look at how little snow there is up there! :eek:
Thanks for sharing!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wow, the lack of snow is stunning, to bad you didn't make it to the top would have liked
to have seen the conditions back towards Bench Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

It would have been cool to get to the top but we had a late start and our turn around time was three pm to ensure getting back to the truck before dark. I honestly think that there wouldn't be much snow on top due to winds and exposure. We were wishing we brought overnight gear because is was so nice up there! Taboose Pass is probably the one pass that is doable right now since a majority of it is on the south facing slope. Four days ago we went up to Third Lake and almost the turn off for Sam Mack Meadow turnoff. This is a picture of lunch above Second Lake. Much more snow here as the picture below shows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Jim & I are toying with the idea of doing a Taboose to Kearsarge fastpack before Memorial. Unless we get some kind of weather miracle, who knows if even microspikes will be necessary for Pinchot & Glen?
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

I'm glad you had a nice trip. Taboose Pass is one of those places that is great to go to in the spring - just 8 miles to the Pass; so it can be done as a day hike if snow conditions are good and you usually don't hit much snow until the last couple thousand feet to the pass unless it's a really heavy snow year. Snow makes it easier in the spring than in the summertime when it is dry if the snow is consolidated. Too bad there isn't much snow out there this year.