Caving in Sequoia

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
davantalus
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Caving in Sequoia

Post by davantalus »

I was able to attend a few days of an annual restoration project at Crystal Cave, Sequoia. Here's a movie I threw together when I wasn't dragging cement about.
Crystal Cave Sequoia - Restoration Project 2010
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Caving in Sequoia

Post by rlown »

Welcome to the HST!

Nice video. I'm guessing you cave elsewhere as well. What gear do you normally carry?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, welcome to HST, and thank you for posting this video, very enlightening.
I was not aware that you all did so much work in these caves, thank you!
Caves have all ways intrigued me, and I have been fortunate to visit several in
California.
Saw a NatGeo special a while back about some gorgeous crystal caves in Mexico
that looked like it was located on another planet, really cool.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... yfp-t-316-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
s&va=crystal+caves+mexico
Heard about this one not long ago:
http://dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/arti ... ungle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would love to visit these places.
davantalus
Topix Newbie

Post by davantalus »

rlown wrote:Welcome to the HST!
Ha, thanks. :)
rlown wrote:Nice video. I'm guessing you cave elsewhere as well. What gear do you normally carry?
I do lots of mine exploration but I'm relatively new to caving (a year or so?). Like any trip, what gear you carry depends on the cave. Some are cold, some wet, some dry and hot. A wet suit could be required or stupid.

Generally you'll have some SRT equipment (frog system) for climbing ropes. I TRY to carry a digital SLR (hence the videos) - but sometimes that's too difficult in the tight spots even with it in a Pelican case when you're worried about yourself or protecting the cave.
calcalif
Topix Newbie

Post by calcalif »

Anybody wanna help out a fellow adventurist and provide some locations for caves ?? I only know about paradise cave and I want a new spelunking adventure.. Please and thanks if anybody can help.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

calcalif wrote:Anybody wanna help out a fellow adventurist and provide some locations for caves ?? I only know about paradise cave and I want a new spelunking adventure.. Please and thanks if anybody can help.
Isn't Paradise cave right below the summit of Paradise peak?
Living On Kaweah Time
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

Just watched the video and I must say, my claustrophobia is really kicking in. I'm going to have nightmares tonight! :paranoid:
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

If you want to find caves around Sequoia then learn what marble looks like and search any marble you find. That's your best bet since most people won't share locations with strangers. There aren't any caves in SEKI that aren't in marble bands.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

iHartMK wrote:
calcalif wrote:Anybody wanna help out a fellow adventurist and provide some locations for caves ?? I only know about paradise cave and I want a new spelunking adventure.. Please and thanks if anybody can help.
Isn't Paradise cave right below the summit of Paradise peak?
No, it's lower, before you get to Lookout Point, off the road to Oriole Lake. Google "Milk Ranch Mineral King".