Advice for a trip in June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jacko26
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Advice for a trip in June

Post by jacko26 »

Hello HST Community,

I have some time off in June of this year before starting a new job, and I am hoping to get out for 4ish day backpacking (and some fly fishing) trip to the Sierras. I have experience in Colorado, but have never been to the Sierras except for some climbing in Yosemite. I am considering a loop in the Hetch Hetchy area, but I am open to suggestions.

I know it's a fool's errand to try to predict conditions, but I'm looking for thoughts on when the mosquito season is going to ramp up. I usually consider late June to be the start, but I'm assuming it's going to hit earlier this year. Any insight would be appreciated.

Are there good 30 - 40 mile loops out there that are less mosquito prone?

Also, let me know if this inquiry should be posted in a different thread. I'm new here...

Thanks in advance for any help!
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Advice for a trip in June

Post by austex »

Welcome Jacko,
This link w/b helpful if filled out to tailor a trip knowing what you like and your experience.
Welcome.
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Willythedog »

If its going to be about the same drought conditions as last year right around Sonora pass area the mosquitoes were something fierce by mid May. Id imagine it was probably the same in the yosemite area.
jacko26
Topix Newbie

Post by jacko26 »

Thanks Austex and Willy!

using the suggested format, here is what we are looking for for the third week in June:

-Experience: Level 3
-Terrain: Class 1-2, river crossings ok, no snow or glacier
-Main interests: big mountain scenery, fly fishing, minimal mosquitos
-4 days/3 nights
-8ish miles per day
-Prefer to do a loop
-No preference on location - leaning toward Hetch Hetchy area right now, but looking for a place with perhaps fewer people?
-not hiking with a dog

Thanks again!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Hetch Hetchy beyond where the day hikers go will have fewer people.

Going from any of the national forest trailheads will also get you solitude in a hurry - taking the Isberg trailhead and heading through the back door (Isberg Pass) into Yosemite you'll rarely see a soul once you're more than a day out.

No guarantees but I suspect mosquitoes won't be much. Not enough snow to create long-lasting meadow bogs they love. Don't recall seeing more than a few last May.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Hey Jacko welcome to HST. Have you looked at the South-East Yosemite/Ansel Adams area? Trailheads Chiquito, Norris and Fernandez all open up to several loop options of varying sizes. Mosquitos have always been pretty moderate for me with the exception of Chiquito Swamp which youll fly right past.

You can stay on the Ansel Adams side for a smaller loop or lollipop and avoid high passes that may still have some snow in June. Or you can loop between the Park and the AA wilderness, crossing over at one of several passes.

Its a beautiful area, mostly below 10k except the passes. I usually see just a few people at the fishing lakes. IIRC last june there was only patchy snow above 9k slightly obscuring trails in a few places but not problematic.

Ive done a few TRs of the area. Click my avatar if youre interested, and wherever you go be sure to give us a TR! Have fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

If you check out last year's mosquito thread (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10801) then that should give you a decent idea of when and where they are likely to start up, assuming the spring weather this year is fairly similar.
jacko26
Topix Newbie

Post by jacko26 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's great to experience such an inviting and helpful community. Much appreciated.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with Almost There. Laurel, and Jack Main or Bearup and Edith if you can.