NPS: Don't eat here

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NPS: Don't eat here

Post by LMBSGV »

I agree with all the comments on NPS eateries though I did enjoy the pizza I had at the Grant Grove pizza place a couple of years ago. Then again, the beer and ten days out, might have made it taste better. When my wife and I do our yearly winter trip to Yosemite Valley we bring our own food and store it in a cooler and the fridge in the room. Rogue, I’m glad you got the tri-tip at Cedar Grove. Last year when I went they were out and sold me an overcooked dry burger and stale potato salad out of the refrigerator.

If exiting from an east side trailhead, the best solution I’ve found is to go to Von’s in Bishop or Mammoth Lakes and buy a steak, burger, or chicken along with a beer or two, potato or two, lettuce, aluminum foil, and charcoal and go to a public picnic area. My wife, son, and I made this part of our going home ritual for years. On solo trips, I opt not to cook and buy something at the deli. My favorite place to go is Tenaya Lake, but there are lots of other possibilities to grill or eat a decent dinner and unwind from the backcountry in a beautiful setting.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah I got to the BBQ right as they opened so it was all fresh. Between the two days I was there they were inconsistent though in portions. The first day I got this huge plate that I was amazed only cost me 12 dollars and the next day it was a very small serving of the sides. The employees said they were still trying to figure it all out.

I also learned at Tuolumne the best way to go was to eat out of the store.

I have also eaten at Grants Grove and I had no complaints about their food.
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by evilgenius32 »

Wolverton has an all you can eat barbecue picnic every summer night I think between Memorial and Labor days. The watermelon and corn-on-the-cob were what you would expect for the parks, but everything else was great. I think it was $15-20 for the buffet, a pretty good deal if you are coming out hungry.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

markskor wrote:Rogue,
TPR (which requires a ride but do-able if gregarious)...great family style dinners and home made pie.
Hey, Markskor! Glad to hear that TPR still has great pies. I last had one in probably 1971, and I loved it! Next time I'm around, I'll definitely try to find an excuse to stop by.

Of course the best leg-o-lamb I've had in some time was... well, you know ;)
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Agree completely, BSquared! :thumbsup: You want to eat well, befriend Markskor!!
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

After days of trail food, even an overpriced burger tastes pretty good so the quality/value bar doesn't have to be too high. I have eating many a meal at Red Meadows or the TM Grill and was happy for the warm meal. The way I look at it, when you are camping out for days and not paying for hotel rooms you can splurge a bit of money on the warm meal when you have the opportunity.

My worst experience was when we ordered a couple of pizzas in Yosemite village after finishing a north bound JMT hike in 2011. We waited almost two hours for the food. We had to drive out of the park back to the 2nd car at Horseshoe Meadows after eating the pizza. Got to see a mountain lion leaping across Hwy 120 at about 10:30 at night. That really made us wide awake.
Jeff
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Not a lot of experience with parks other than Yosemite. The wife and I spend a week in the valley every year in early March. Gave up on dinner at the Awahnee (I refuse to use the new NPS names) a few years ago; we prefer the Mountain House now for its more varied menu and friendlier service. Still like the Awahnee breakfast buffet though.
Not sure what will shake out with the new concessionaire (Aramark). Hope that they are better with the food service than they were at getting the new web sites up and running.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hope that they are better with the food service than they were at getting the new web sites up and running.
If there linen service is any indication of their over all service, then don't count on it. :\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org