Post Trip-Where to Grab a Shower?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dunlapry
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post Trip-Where to Grab a Shower?

Post by dunlapry »

Hello,
3-4 of us will be ending a 10 night trip at North Lake at the end of July. We plan on camping at or near North Lake (possibly lower Lamarck) for our last night then up early to head back to our rental car and drive back to Reno for a 7pm flight back home. Are the any facilities in the area (maybe something in Bishop??) where we could grab a shower before we return to civilization? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Post Trip-Where to Grab a Shower?

Post by JWreno »

In 2008 my wife and I came out of North Lake via Lamarc Col so she could leave the trail after starting at Horseshoe Meadows. She had to go back to work and I was going back in at South Lake to continue to Yosemite valley. We went to a Bishop laundry mat and I paid about $5 for a shower there. I don't recall the location. I was happy for the clean clothes and body. You might want to google Bishop laundry maps and call them and ask about showers.
Jeff
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Probably the one: http://www.yelp.com/biz/wash-tub-coin-op-laundry-bishop

That's a great Idea!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Closest place is at Parchers Resort: http://parchersresort.net/backpackerservices.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dunlapry
Topix Novice

Post by dunlapry »

awesome. thanks for the info.
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

Years ago I would pay the fee for the Bishop Municipal Pool and clean up in their shower area. Is the pool still operating?
Now., after most trips my wife and I spend the night in a moderate motel/hotel and have a great shower and meal after our trips. However, that is my usual promise to her to get her to go, although she really enjoys the trips, the after is a big draw.
When I solo, which is about 10 times more than traveling with my wife, I just get in the car and drive home.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I usually do a gallon bathe and rinse off at the car or wherever is the most modest :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

SweetSierra wrote:I usually do a gallon bathe and rinse off at the car or wherever is the most modest :)
Where ever i go and if I have others along, everyone is asked to bring a gallon of water for exactly that purpose. I also ask for a fresh change of clothes, as the 7 hr drive home could get a bit unpleasant. I bring towels and washcloths. Everything dirty gets put in the bed of the truck for the ride home

At North Lake, I back the truck into the day use parking lot towards the trees, and we open the doors to shield any potential visitors from being shocked or going blind from our exposure. :o

It's very refreshing, but a shower would be stellar.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I like to clean up a little before the drive home, so i usually have a clean set of clothes in the car with a towel. After my 7 day trip out of north lake last year I just dove in the lake and washed up sans soap and added deodorant after and did just fine. For a small fee I have used the facilities at both the best western pool area as well as the jacuzzi, pool and showers at snow creek resort in mammoth. We used Snow Creek a few years ago before flying home from Mammoth.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Forest Service Office in Bishop has a 1-2 page sheet that gives locations of showers. I have an old one so am not sure all that are listed still are available. I have used the laundry and the pool. The pool is a bit awkward because it is an open shower and they require you keep on your bathing suit. But there are a lot of "bathing suits" that are pretty skimpy! The nice thing about the pool is that you also get to go swimming.

Nothing to do with showers, but be aware that gas prices in Bridgeport are OUTRAGEOUS!!! Fill up in Reno and Bishop. Just about anything in between is very expensive. Lee Vining is probably the second most expensive. Prices get more reasonable once you get to Gardnerville and north. Bishop is pretty reasonable too.