July Trip Planning/Bear Canister Rentals

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: July Trip Planning/Bear Canister Rentals

Post by The Other Tom »

I guess 4 hours sounds ok from RNO to Bishop. Seems like it was longer for me, but maybe I was jet lagged and tired.

I've seen bearikades listed on ebay but never really followed them to see what they sold for. You can get a good idea of how much you can get back by looking at the completed auctions.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Used Bearikades don't show up often on the various gear swaps, and when they do they are sold quickly. So I'd guess you'd have little problem selling a lightly used one if you didn't want to keep it and didn't want to rent one. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Wild Ideas does rent bearikades - you have to deal with shipping back and forth but it's an option.
I have two bearikades - one of each size - and though it felt like a stretch at the time to spend that much I have not regretted it for a second. Much superior to the other cans.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If I read your post correctly, you may have four people. For a 10 day trip that means everyone has to have their own bear can. Buying four Berikades is $$!! I agree they are the best; I have one. You need to really read the regulations. As of now, I think the Ursack is legal. See exactly where hard sided bear cans are required (not just recommended). When my husband and I go, we plan a trip so that our first days do not require a hard sided bear can. We take one Bearikade and one Ursack. Once we get through the 4-5 days everything fits in the Bearikade and then we are free to go where they are required. There are bear boxes at established campsites that you may also be able to use. If you buy a bear can, look into BearVaults. They are much cheaper, and about the same weight as the Garcia, but have much more volume. An Ursack costs about the same as a BearVault. The BearVault is common - you can get them from REI. I have even seen them on sale. I have a BearVault but never use it. Once I got the Bearikade, it was no looking back! I have rented a Bearikade from SEKI at Road's End - you have to put down a big deposit and I think they may be up to $5 or more a day. I have rented a Garcia for 2.50 a day.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Here is my trail report of the South Lake to South Lake complete circle loop:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758&p=46912&hilit= ... cle#p46912

This shows how you can close the loop enjoyably with really only about one hour or so of road walking. Table Mountain and Tyee Lakes are interesting--though I am glad I did them first in the loop. I did not do Lamarck Col though it could simply be substituted for my trek over Piute and Humphries and up through the San Joaquin and Evolution Valley. For my first trip, I am glad I saw those canyons. All in all, I would have loved a few more days for side trips.
dunlapry
Topix Novice

Post by dunlapry »

thanks for the trip report. Very awesome. That trip was at the end of July/beginning of August. I know 2011 had some very heavy snowfall. Do you think we'll encounter as much snow this summer mid to late july? I've read other reports without much or any snow in and around Muir Pass.

We are pretty sure on going with the bigger bearikades. Not sure about buying vs. renting. Will decide on that soon.

I got my permit filed and paid for last night.

Our game plan as of now:

Day 1-fly and drive, stay near South Lake/North Lake at a campground
Day 2-dump car at North Lake and get a ride to South Lake then hike to Long Lake or Chocolate Lake (maybe Saddlerock if doing ok-we are from flat as a pancake Michigan so not going to push it)
Day 3-Over Bishop and into Dusy Basin -will look for a good site where we can fish and enjoy the scenery
Day 4-Down into LeConte Canyon and maybe as far as Lake Helen
Day 5-Continue to Evolution Valley
Day 6-Continue to Piute Creek Trail
Day 8-Upper Golden Trout Lake
Day 9-Over Piute Pass and detour to Upper Lamarck Lake
Day 10-Over Lamarck Col and down to Darwin Bench
Day 11-Back over Lamarck Col and down to North Lake (or lower Lamarck)
Day 12-pack up and drive back Reno for a 7:30pm flight

If we make more miles in a day than we plan we'll adjust and maybe spend some more time in the Darwin Bench area.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

2011 was in a relatively heavy snow year. You would not encounter that amount of snow or runoff if hiking at the same time this year, unless conditions radically change.

For the most part, your itinerary looks leisurely and quite doable. I'm one of the few on this board who has never been over Lamarck Col. Most people use it as a quite entry but fewer use it as a quick exit and probably fewer yet use it both ways. There are some other side trips to consider doing such as McGee/Davis Lakes, just taking time to explore Humphries Basis and Dusy Basin, etc. You will have time for some of that given your pace. Enjoy!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Why not go to Darwin Bench on your way down from Muir Pass? it's an easy stroll from just below the Evolution Lake outlet, and a heck of a lot less work than going over Lamarck twice. Not that the view from Lamarck isn't nice. But I'd spend more time exploring Darwin Bench - like maybe wander west over to lake 11092 - and then on the way to Piute Pass, take a side trip in Humphreys Basin. Just wander around the various lakes and up to the ridge for a look over into French Canyon, or stroll up to Four Gables for a tremendous view.
And you're not going to see snow like there was in 2011 - that was a massive snow year and this is so far a very low year. Even if we have a miracle spring it won't get to be like 2011.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

If you are going to go over Lamarck Col, I agree with Paul though I would go to Evolution Valley before Darwin Bench. I know people here have different feelings about Evolution Valley, but I think if you're coming from that far away, you should spend at least one night in Colby or McClure Meadow. I would spend days 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 in Evolution Basin, Evolution Valley, and Darwin Bench exploring any of the possible side trips and then go over Lamarck Col. Also, if you decide to go from Evolution Valley through Piute Creek and Hutchinson Meadow to Piute Pass, I prefer camping off-trail in Humphrey’s Basin to the more crowded Golden Trout Lake. There are lots of trip reports here that you can research for all the possibilities in the coming months.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com