Powder Coating Your fishing lures

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Powder Coating Your fishing lures

Post by austex »

Mike, The lure goes in the bottom of the fluid bed in the "paint" and covered with the coffee filter (top) to retain the dust? Or it sits on filter to get coated with the dust?
IE: Heat lure drop in paint (bottom) and then cover,(filter) then turn on the air pump?

Brilliant idea. I've thought about it but didn't want to buy a pc gun just to do such small items. I've painted some with so-so results.
BTW; you think there is enough interest in the fishing world to start mfg. this lure again? Some lose/snag lures; I don't. :^o
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

do a search in google for fluid bed powder coating. you should get this: https://www.google.com/search?q=fluid+b ... B420%3B293

The images should give a good idea of how it works.

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Another option for making dots is to use nails with varying head sizes from small finishing nails to larger flat head nails. I pre-drill a hole in the end of a wooden joining dowel, dip the point of the nail in Elmers glue and tap it into the dowel for a handle. I use a head half of the size I want the final dot, barely dip the head in acrylic paint and touch it on. After drying overnight, I can put a smaller dot inside for a double circled eye.

BTW, what is the advantage to powder coating with UV clearcoat and acrylic painting with UV clearcoat?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote: BTW, what is the advantage to powder coating with UV clearcoat and acrylic painting with UV clearcoat?
I found this in looking for comparisons on your question: http://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-61624.html

I think the main reason is that the Z-Rays were powder coated in the first place. Everything eventually gets chipped or needs to be repainted, or if you're Markskor, thrown deep and caught on a rock :p The additional UV coating is just another layer for either.

Nothing lasts forever.