First Post - New Member, Taking Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Adrn
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

First Post - New Member, Taking Suggestions

Post by Adrn »

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading through the forum and am really excited to hopefully learn a ton from all the great information and stories everyone has shared. I just happened onto this site by way of trying to gain some intel for a packing/fishing trip I am planning for Memorial Day weekend 2015. The group will be 3-5 of us. We typically fish the reservoirs and lakes in and around the stan natl forest. I floated this idea out to the group about a packing/fishing trip and we're excited about going on a beginner/ lower intermediate trip (3-5 maybe 7mi). My initial thought was to hike the Crabtree trailhead out to Camp, Bear and Y Meadows lakes. However, after reading that these places are no longer stocked and fishing is all but nonexistent, I have been asked to find other options. Not expecting anyone to divulge their honey hole spots, I would welcome any suggestions for a decent two to three day trip 3-6mi hike to a lake, stream or both. We are considering any spots from Yosemite to the south on up to Tahoe Natl to the north. Main hwys if it helps would be 120, 108, 4, 88, 50, or 80. Sorry if it is a loaded request.
Thanks for any advice.
-Adrian
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: First Post - New Member, Taking Suggestions

Post by balzaccom »

For Memorial day weekend, you are running the risk of heading into pretty snowy territory in there. Even in this low snow year (so far--we can always hope) snow level could well mean that Crabtree trailhead isn't even open yet.

But there are a couple of possibilities. You could hike into the upper end of Spicer Reservoir...that trial might be open. We did Sword and Lost Lakes a few years ago in early June, and it wasn't too bad. Or you could simply hike up Clark's Fork beyond the trail to Boulder Lake. That whole little valley is pretty--and I've caught brookies up to about 113-14 inches in there. But that's stream fishing, and you'd have to take turn or pick your spots.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Adrian,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Even a dry year(or the 4th dry year in a row) finds most of the high lakes of the Sierra still covered with ice as of Memorial Day weekend.

There are several spots for short trips that are pretty much guaranteed to be ice free as of Memorial Day weekend. The place with the most room to roam around would be out of Loon Lake off of the NW corner of Desolation Wilderness. The hiking required to get to the first viable lake, Buck Island Lake, is a bit on the high end of your criteria: it's a bit over 6 miles although the very minimal elevation gain makes that the fastest 6.2 mi (or whatever it is) I've ever experienced. Rockbound Lake (much prettier) is the next one up the trail and it within the wilderness.

The lakes on the E side of Sonora Pass: Roosevelt, Secret, Lane, Poore etc. are ice free and the hike is very short indeed (3 mi and very little elevation gain) from Leavitt Meadow and 108. Bear in mind that these destinations will see a lot of folks on Memorial Day weekend, though. I once backpacked to Roosevelt and Lane two weeks BEFORE Memorial Day and found it so crowded I had to camp on top of a rounded spur away from the lake. During one of the drought years (late 80's) I once fished those lakes in mid to late April.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

giantbrookie wrote:The lakes on the E side of Sonora Pass: Roosevelt, Secret, Lane, Poore etc. are ice free and the hike is very short indeed (3 mi and very little elevation gain) from Leavitt Meadow and 108. Bear in mind that these destinations will see a lot of folks on Memorial Day weekend, though. I once backpacked to Roosevelt and Lane two weeks BEFORE Memorial Day and found it so crowded I had to camp on top of a rounded spur away from the lake. During one of the drought years (late 80's) I once fished those lakes in mid to late April.
Yes, even in the heaviest of winters, this area is snow free by Memorial Day, and giantbrookie's description is accurate. That being said, Sonora Pass and passes to the south are often still closed at that time. If you are coming from the west, headed east, there is a possibility you may have to go over CA 4, CA 88, or even CA 89, south on US 395, then a short distance west on 108 to the trailhead. Of course, with the once again bizarre weather we're having this winter, there is no telling how early Sonora Pass may be open. Not to impede your access to the area, but I'm hoping there will be enough snow to keep the pass closed until July. We just really need the precipitation.

Kennedy Meadows (108) to Relief Reservoir would likely be snow free by then.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

If this crappy weather (sunny) keeps up you never know....
I went from Crabtree trailhead to Deer Lake a week before memorial weekend in 2014 and there was barely any snow and all the lakes along the way were ice free (Deer lake elevation is around 8500 feet i think if i remember correctly) . Ton of mosquitoes though. Did good on a mosquito fly.
Adrn
Topix Novice

Post by Adrn »

Thanks all for the great advice on places to add to my tentative plan and standard forum communication. If there are any other potential destination responses, I would be happy to read about it.

@Tom H - I agree 100% with needing the snow(and rain as well at lower elevation) and would be completely fine with having to select a different location or postpone until July.