naughty list

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: naughty list

Post by rlown »

You are a grinch for posting that. As you now are on the naughty list with most of us.

(Note my avatar as I'm holding a fish that lived, and then died by netting)
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

This study and several others suggest that you can't "know" a fish you handled survived.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I know that this reply is deviating away from its original intent of this post, but as an angler that almost always practices catch and release, I felt the need to chime in. The TU document that Old Ranger linked is a good one. Using barbless hooks is very helpful in getting the hook out quickly and using flies as well, because fish tend not to swallow then deeply, most are hooked in the lip. I often use a rubber landing net, but I have to admit than I don't take it with me when I backpack, because it is large and much heavier than my other net. However, one key thing that anglers can do to retain as much of the protective "slime" on the sides of the fish is to wet your hands before you handle the fish. That is IF you need to handle the fish at all, I try and leave all of my fish in the net and release from there, to avoid touching them at all.

I could go on, but I want to steer this back to the original post: I have to second robow8's inclusion of Casey Nocket on the Naughty List. Such high profile vandalism should be prosecuted to send a message to others that this kind of "inspired art" is not acceptable. Inspired? Great! Use a real canvas, paper, parchment, whatever, just not what nature provides at the site. NOT OK!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

How about these guys that lit an entire standing dead tree on fire for kicks. Sorry for the bad pic but it was low light and my hands were shaking I was so angry. The flames were at least 50 ft high. This was in 2007 at Big lake in the Emigrant Wilderness. It was amazing that the whole place didn't go up in flames.
Backpacking 2007052.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Looks like a lightning strike... IDIOTS. :snipe:
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ah yes idiots, our esteemed John Muir once did the same thing when touring Yosemite with Teddy Rosevelt. Teddy said, "Bully! There's a candle it took 500 years to make! Maybe they were just following Muir's legacy!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

If you've read Mark Twain's "Roughing It" you'll know that he once set fire to the entire eastern shore of Lake Tahoe.

A memorable story in an even more memorable book...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963