Far northern exit from Sixty Lake Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dgmccowen1950
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Far northern exit from Sixty Lake Basin

Post by dgmccowen1950 »

I am trying to determine if it is possible to exit Sixty Lake Basin from its far northern lake and join the JMT approx 1.5 mi down from Dollar Lake (or 1.4 north of the Baxter Lake trail junction. It looks very doable, looking at it in Google Earth, by staying high as long as possible, on what looks like rocky benches, after leaving the most northern lake in the basin. If anyone has scouted out this area, I would appreciate any info possible.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Far northern exit from Sixty Lake Basin

Post by maverick »

Hi Dgmccowen1950,

Welcome to HST! Your post was moved because of rule #2:
2) Members should be aware the posts in this forum should be information/data only. As a result the posts in this
forum will be tightly moderated. Members should anticipate minor edits to posts to maintain the proper format,
and possible post edits, moves, or removals should they contain discussions more appropriate for other forums
at HST.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
marymaryland
Topix Novice

Post by marymaryland »

Hi there!

I've exited Sixty Lakes Basin via the exact route you mentioned a couple of times-- you're right, totally doable. Unfortunately, it's been several years, so my memory is a little hazy and I didn't have the foresight to take pictures. I remember having to lower my backpack and scramble a couple of times, but this was when I was still a bit of a beginner at reading/navigating x-country terrain, so those scrambles are very likely avoidable. It is also very easy to keep your bearings-- you have a pretty good vantage point downriver from the benches. Nothing over Class 2.

I have talked to other people who have connected SLB with Arrowhead Lake-- another fairly casual affair.

Sorry I don't have more specific advice besides general encouragement!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

If you don't want all the trouble of leaving it to the North take the saddle West of Arrowhead Lake. There is some use trail dropping down from right there.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I did it in 1991 and it seemed pretty easy. See: http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... /index.htm