July TM to Valley 4 Day

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: July TM to Valley 4 Day

Post by overheadx2 »

I did that exact trip two summers ago. As suggested, we went to the valley and caught the bus to TM. It made the drive home much simpler. The scenery was amazing but trails and sites were over used and LOTS of people. That trip is the one that got me interested in doing more XC in order to get away from crowds. The daily elevation drop really took its toll on the quads, shins and knees of a few in our group so make sure you do some hard down hill training. Just cuz it's all down hill doesn't make it easy, bring some treking poles. We stayed at booth then over Vogelsang to Washburn (nice lake but not worth the effort). Merced lake has quite a few people there due to the camping area and the HST. Camping by the water slide was very cool. Fishing was good for smaller fish everywhere. Once we got to LYV there were so many folks we just wanted to get out of there. PM me if you want some pics or specific info.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'd zig zag around. Tuolumne Pass - Echo Valley - Clouds Rest and down.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Fishing is a little lean in the Clouds Rest area?
Mountainman who swims with trout
jornellas
Topix Acquainted

Post by jornellas »

I am thinking you are right regarding the car, park in the valley and shuttle up in the AM....

I realized there would be a fair amount of people but did not realize it would be SO packed, I can only get away for a trip or so a year as I have a 3 year old and busy job. Have always wanted to do this trip so guess we will see!

Overhead, PM sent
jornellas
Topix Acquainted

Post by jornellas »

Markscor, always heard that there was some great fishing at clouds rest... Ha
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Even though a rather well-traveled route, your intended trip is a Yosemite classic. Trail quotas keep it from being over populated. Sure you will see numbers at Vogelsang and Merced, but isolation is still only a 1/8 mile away, anywhere off trail.
Still a great plan for a Yosemite beginner - go and enjoy.
Mountainman who swims with trout
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I would agree with Mark. It's a classic trip and seeing the amazing granite walls and valleys of Yose from the back country gives you a whole new appreciation. Just stay clear of the HSC's and get off the trail a little to camp and you'll have a great time. PM returned.
SoCalCPA
Topix Acquainted

Post by SoCalCPA »

Marksor nailed it - 2 years ago I did the Red Peak Pass Loop and fished Washburn - Just loaded with nice sized Brookies - one of my favorite lakes in yosemite
jornellas
Topix Acquainted

Post by jornellas »

So......

The only permit I was able to get was via Murphy Creek. Is there any way to zig zag around and get back towards that Valley? Mt other option is Agnew to Tuolumne but would prefer my original route.

Thanks for any advice.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Agnew to TM, hands down. Better scenery