Which would you choose?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Which would you choose?

Post by overheadx2 »

I have been doing some research for my summer trips and have a couple of trips planned for early summer on the west side. I need to make a choice between either the red mountain area or the woodchuck lake area. I fish, but that is not the defining factor. If you had a choice, which area would you choose. It seems as if its a coin flip, but thought I'd ask. Thanks for the help, Phil
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Which would you choose?

Post by oldranger »

Woodchuck for fishing. Red Mt. for scenery.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I don't know how long you're planning for, but why not both? come in from Wishon, go via woodchuck, Half moon, and Bench Valley just to make it incredible - then over to Big & Little Shot to Devils Punchbowl and into Red Mtn. Basin from there. Involves some cross-country sections that way.

Woodchuck is pretty but Red Mtn. Basin is spectacular.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I would start in Red Mtn and go on to Bench, Blackcap and onward! been there before and the biggest rainbows were in a small lake in Bench... brooks and goldens are out there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for the replies. Due to work, I can get quite a few 4 day weekends, but it's difficult to get much more time than that. I plan to do both of these areas but needed to pick one for this year. My goal is to begin exploring the west side this year with a week out of mineral king with my annual trip with my brother and then another long weekend up at Red mountain area. I'll still plan a few for the east side since it seems to be a lot easier to get to for me.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I've done both separately, also done trips that did both in one trip as suggested above. Caught a 14" Brookie and a nice Rainbow at Woodchuck Lake, nice Rainbows at Blackrock Lake too. That's where I camped when in the Red Mountain Basin. There's more to see in the Red Mountain Area, I visited all the lakes when there. Camping at Woodchuck is kinda exposed, not many trees for shade in camping areas (as I remember). There's also not much ground above to block the wind.

They both have nearby passes, but not much to see from the pass near Woodchuck (Crown). Very good views from Hell For Sure Pass, you can look 3,000 feet down the other side to the South Fork San Joaquin River. Most of a Woodchuck trip will feel like you're in the trees. On a Red Mountain Basin trip, once you pass Fleming Lake, you get that high mountain feel. There are trees to camp in at some of the lakes though, Black Rock, and Devils Punchbowl. Also, the Red Mountain Basin gives a nice Loop option. On the way back out I took the trail past Devils Punchbowl to the North Fork Kings River, it connects back up at Post Corral Creek.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Woodchuck has one outstanding viewpoint of Monarch Divide, Great Western Divide, and Sierra Crest. It is near the high point of the trail between Woodchuck and Crown lakes. Other than that the focus is on fishing.
1 woodchuck.jpg
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

WOODCHUCK is fishing....