Mt Sill N. Coulior

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
dvdlrnbugs
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mt Sill N. Coulior

Post by dvdlrnbugs »

Planning a Memorial Day trip (May 23-25th).

TH: N. Fork of Big Pine Creek

Was just looking to get some of your thoughts on the N. Coulior route. Especially as it pertains to the Class 4 section.

Difficuly? (I've heard hard 3/ easy 4)
Route finding? (Straight forward?)
Footwear (Hiking boots/approach shoes?)

Thanks!
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: Mt Sill N. Coulior

Post by KathyW »

Difficulty: One easy Class 4 move - some people place protection and others don't. Otherwise a little Class 3, but mostly Class 2.
Route Finding - Easy if you do research in advance.
Footware: Depends. That time of year, you'll likely need crampons and axe unless it doesn't snow anymore this winter. I wore lightweight mountaineering boots most of the time because there was a lot of snow when I did Sill that way (July of a heavy snow year), but switched to sticky approach shoes for the Class 4 move and the little bit of Class 3 above there because I was climbing without protection. It all depends on conditions, what type of crampons you have, and your comfort level when traveling on snow or when scrambling on rocks.
dvdlrnbugs
Topix Newbie

Re: Mt Sill N. Coulior

Post by dvdlrnbugs »

Thanks Kathy!