Hiking barrett lake jeep trail mid june?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kita28
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hiking barrett lake jeep trail mid june?

Post by kita28 »

A few buddies and i are going to backpack into barrett lake and lost lake mid june ( weather permitting) . Hoping someone could give some info on what kind of weather to expect. Day time highs/ over night lows. Just want to bring the propper gear. Mainly concerned about the overnight temps that time of year, i want to bring the propper mummy bag.

Thanks, look forward to any feedback
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking barrett lake jeep trail mid june?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

June can be varied. It can be very cold or very nice. I'd be safe and bring a warm bag. I have been freezing more than once in June in my 32 degree bag.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

That lake is only at 7830 feet south facing open granitoid glacial with thin forest so by mid June average years would be snow free. Still temps could get down to freezing though average minimums likely in low 40s. Mosquitoes near peak.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

SSSdave wrote:That lake is only at 7830 feet south facing open granitoid glacial with thin forest so by mid June average years would be snow free. Still temps could get down to freezing though average minimums likely in low 40s. Mosquitoes near peak.
Or you could have just said, bring a tent with adequate ventilation and a good 20 degree bag. Bags can be left unzipped if it's warmer.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

FWIW, Sierra June weather is a crapshoot, temp-wise. Why not take a bag that guarantees you a warm night?
Even at 8,000', you could get nighttime conditions 20º - or 40º...plan accordingly.

Personally, I never hit the Sierra, June to August without a 20º down bag, a tent,and a good pad. You have Jeep transportation/ ain't carrying anything...what's the big deal?
Mountainman who swims with trout
kita28
Topix Novice

Post by kita28 »

Thanks for all the feed back!!, we are all really excited about this trip. I have a north face furnace 20 degree pro down bag, i should be safe with that bag ( havent used it yet below 40 degrees). Any knowledge on the ground at barrett lake, my bivy tent requires tent stakes. I know there is alot of granite in the area. Also is lost lake a nice place to set up base camp? Just trying to get as much info about the area before the trip so i can plan accordingly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote: Or you could have just said, bring a tent with adequate ventilation and a good 20 degree bag.
Bags can be left unzipped if it's warmer.
Or we can just let people be who they are. :)

Kita,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kita28
Topix Novice

Post by kita28 »

Maverick,

Thank you! Very happy I found this forum.

Kita