Current vehicle of choice

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Current vehicle of choice

Post by KathyW »

Mike - It sounds like you're going to get many years of enjoyment out of that 4Runner. I'm sold on Toyota's too - I'm on my third Tacoma. It gets me down most of the backcountry roads I want to go down, and would probably get me down more if I wasn't such a nervous nelly. The first time I saw it from behind on a rough road, it just amazed me what the suspension does to keep the vehicle fairly level as it crawls over those rocks. I switched from a standard (manual) transmission to automatic over the years. I was hesitant to make the switch, but I'm glad I did.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

My vehicles of choice?
YARTS...live 2 blocks from Mammoth Park -n- Ride -
Whatever the person who picks me up hitch hiking is driving,
or what car Mike happens to own that particular year.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

So Mark, your current vehicle choice is OP's

I have a 2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 with full double cab. I love it when gas is where it is at the moment. It sucks when gas approaches $4/gal.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Yup...prefer to drive the OP-AK,
Other Persons, Any Kind

FYI, I currently drive a '88 Jeep Wagoneer - (works and because its paid for) -
jeep 001.jpg
Being a senior now, $7, YARTS - one-way to Tuolumne,
Another $7 to the Valley...can't drive up the hill for that price.

BTW, always have an open couch for any HST hiker passing/driving through Mammoth - might even bum a ride -
Provided I'm not already out hiking somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Mike, I dislike the looks of the new 4-Runners as well. Curious if you considered the (what I consider to be the more stylish) FJ Cruiser at the time and if so why it didn't make the cut.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Been driving a 2007 Forester AWD I bought used in 2010 with 57k and now have 126k that is pretty consistently 25 mpg. Before that put 300k + on a Legacy AWD. I ski in the winter especially on or right after fresh snow days so have needed AWD to eliminate chaining up. And AWD is critical out on many of the off pavement places I go though not having a high wheel base has limitations so am rather conservative the more remote I go. All set up to sleep in the bed which I do a lot. Last spring up on a gravel bed of the Smith River in Del Norte County that I dispersed camped at.

Expect to put a lot of miles on the next few months and then will start looking for something new or newer to last into my retirement years I'm now at.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Eric,

FJ not as comfortable or family friendly, 2 doors rather than 4, slightly less mpg, also didn't seem to have particularly good visibility.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Had a '91 Nissan Pathfinder that was ultimately replaced by a 2000 Nissan Xterra. Loved both vehicles but hated the mpg. Finally replaced the Xterra with a MINI Countryman with AWD. I miss the clearance but love the way it handles on the freeway. I would have gone with the FJ Cruiser instead... but the mpg!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

My Subaru Crosstek I bought last February.
After a year I am very fond of it. Last time I went to Yosemite, I got 33 mpg.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Have 2013 and 2002 Highlanders. I do a lot of astronomy and haul a 5x8 cargo trailer converted for transport and sleeping when doing astronomy events. Has 240 watts solar on the roof and 225 amp-hours of batteries and a propane furnace. The trailer is easy to pull since it is only 5 feet wide and I can see around it with the standard mirrors. The back of the Highlander is large enough to take a couple of scopes and mounts even without taking the trailer.

We have been doing a lot of hikes that require a car at each end so I am glad to have two reliable vehicles that can hold multiple people and the gear. I live at about 4800 feet in a neighborhood with a lot of hills. The AWD drive allows my wife and I to get to/from work when winter comes. Lately haven't seen much in winter driving conditions but we are ready when it happens.

The Highlander rides is like a car, not a truck. It has enough clearance for modest trail head driving but don't mistake it for a jeep.
Jeff