Yosemite Advice Request

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Yosemite Advice Request

Post by sheperd80 »

Hey folks, been away awhile but I'm back with another short notice request! I plan to take the GF to Yosemite this saturday for something memorable, but many of the things i wanted to do are just not going to work out due to lack of snow.

Experience: hers is very little
Interests: snowy scenery, mild hiking or show-shoeing, photography

Sleigh Ride at Tenaya, snowshoeing into Mariposa Grove, Discovery Hike at Badger Pass... These were some of my original ideas but it sounds like the snow just isnt there.

Any recommendations are appreciated. We'll only be there for one day, maybe 8am-5pm. We've been to Yosemite many times but never in winter.

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Re: Yosemite Advice Request

Post by cahiker »

Maybe enjoy the valley with less crowds than in summer. Hike to Vernal Falls and Mirror Lake, walk to Yosemite Falls, stroll through the meadows and enjoy the scenery, have a picnic lunch. The scenery will be great even without snow (although I agree it would be extra special with snow!)
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I think that Yosemite Valley is great in the winter. No crowds, you can pretty much walk onto any bus and probably be the only one on it. We have went the last two years and had a great time. You can get a price on the heated cabins in Curry Village if you want to stay the night. A flyer I had received listed the heated tents for $52 a night but that price ended yesterday. Not as much water as the spring or summer but still very pretty and you have the outdoor ice skating rink available. We hiked up to Vernal Falls in January 2012. That's the year everything was very dry and the 120 stayed open thru January.

A very dry 2012 Vernal Fall. Should have more water this year tho.

Emerald Pool above Vernal Fall.

Outdoor Skating Rink.

A lot of the shops and food services are shut down in the winter but there is still plenty to chose from.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Yeah Im looking forward to it. Weve both been several times and done all the common trails but usually midsummer, so this should be a nice change. Ice skating could be fun i dont think shes ever done that.

Thanks for the replies. :-)

sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I'm not gonna make a whole TR for a leisurely day in the park, but we had a great time.

We stopped at badger, rented snowshoes and hiked up to old badger summit. Nice view of Clark range and some of northern Yosemite.

Then we headed for the valley. On the way we stopped at tunnel view and walked back into the tunnel to the little cave that pops out on the side of the mountain providing another great view into the valley.

Next was ice skating at Curry Village. She had fun but it didnt last long as she was already tired from snowshoeing.

Then we took a little stroll to the bridge below Yos Falls. It was really flowing making for some great pics.

We ended the day with dinner at El Cid in Oakhurst which was great despite being extremely crowded.

I kept the plan secret all day so she had alot of fun with all the suprise "firsts". Thanks for the tips everyone!