2014 Sierra Hike

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 Sierra Hike

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah it was very steep in sections. I wouldn't want to be going up it. I also thought I found a trail for short sections but I could not tell if it was just game trails or not.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Went through your 2014 post pics. Like the Week 3 Big Moccasin Lake mirror reflection and left a comment. Nice stitch work. Had looked at that topo perspective ages ago and was wondering what it actually looked like. Have long had a spreadsheet for a 9-day trip into Humphreys Basin which I haven't visited in maybe a couple decades and is down a ways in my queue.

Will now likely edit the previous itinerary to spend time there instead of the French Creek areas that work better from a trip up Pine Creek plus Royce and Granite Park areas. Day 2 night would be near Golden Trout Lakes and work that in pm and day 3 am. Day 3 noon in the luxuriant flowery Hutchinson Meadows till 4pm then continue on up to Big Moccasin late. Day 4 work that till about 10am at most then back down and up to Tomahawk where will have a mid trip layover day 5.

David
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

That was a very nice area with very easy cross country going in and out.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well that's it! All the photos done for another amazing trip of a lifetime through the high Sierra. I just hope one day I can put it all down in writing!

Week 12
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Rogue, awesome photos as always! You've had so many amazing trips. How was your path between Triple Divide Pass and the Kern-Kaweah River? All easy class 2? I had been thinking of heading up to the Glacier Lake area after the meetup this year. Thanks.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah it was all class 2 but it's a complicated mess of shelves and ramps where you could easily get off into class 3 if you don't take the right way. Just have to carefully make your way.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

I went down the north side of Cunningham Creek this June and never found any semblance of a trail. The bushwhacking was about as intense as it gets. The headwaters of the creek are lovely, and there are great views of the Whaleback once you near Cement Table Meadows, but overall I'd say it's not worth it.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

If I am correct Rouge is talking about hiking in lower Goddard Canyon. When backpacking I always talked to people about cross country routes. Back in the day I was in the canyon a couple of different years but had learned from others not to go there. that this one was horrible. A few here in HST have written about how bad it is. When will people learn that it is a place to which you will repent having. I am sure glad I never hiked there.