TR Twin and Ellis peaks OGUL

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Twin and Ellis peaks OGUL

Post by Gazelle »

1/5/2015 Twin peaks 10.8 miles 7 hours 3192 elevation gain.
Started at the turn off to Barker pass road on the the west shore of lake Tahoe parked on 89 beyond snow poles did not want ticket for parking in sno park without permit and if you are beyond the snow poles they will not tow you for snow removal reasons. Went up past the houses on the left side found a trail that worked to the right which I promptly veered off to go straight up and to the right of the rock outcropping. Did not need my snowshoes at this point but it would have been easier with more snow and wearing snowshoes. Found a old snowshoe trail beyond the top followed it along the ridge till it stopped, went along ridge to find snowmobile tracks by now getting softer so I put on the snowshoes. Made my way cross country to Stanford rock great views!
1000.jpg
Went down to the Tahoe rim trail saddle from ward canyon and Barker pass followed ridge to the peaks went up the Western summit 1st then traversed over the eastern summit did not find any register on either but there was some snow.
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
Then thinking it may be easier I traversed down from the saddle of the TRT to Barker Pass rd, not so! steep, bushy, willow hell, minimal snow but enough to post hole in with out snow shoes, and not enough to snowshoe. Came out at the barker pass rd bridge and road walked the icy road back to the car. With more snow this would have been great and a whole lot easier! Only people I saw all day was 2 snowmobilers on barker pass rd. OGUL # 60

Ellis Peak 1/7/2015 6.4 miles 3:35 hours 2037 elevation gain
Started at the Rubicon trail ohv outhouses, followed the road toward Miller Lake and took a right on a road that goes toward Bucks lake got to put on the snowshoes here. Followed the road until the saddle then headed cross country and met up with snowmobile tracks which lead to the west of Ellis peak, climbed up and across a little ridge to the peak. No register but could have been under snow. Followed same route back to car only say 3 guys as I was almost back to the car.
1010.jpg
1011.jpg
OGUL #61 only 2 more!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cefire
Topix Regular

Re: TR Twin and Ellis peaks OGUL

Post by cefire »

Cool! Which two do you have left?

=D>
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Snow valley and Ralston
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Pardon me for my ignorance. WHAT is "OGUL" ???
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks! I have done about 15+ of them. I used to be a member of Peak and Gorge years ago.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Wow! Ralston surprises me as that one seems pretty popular. Snow Valley looks pretty doable in winter last I scoped it out.

=D>