Women Hikers!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Women Hikers!

Post by Tollermom »

I am almost 60 and just started backpacking the past 3 years. Have only been on 6 trips so far, one of them a solo (but the solo was to Round Lake on Luther Pass so not really alone per se). I much prefer the company of a buddy to being alone, but have been known to hike by myself if a girlfriend wasn't available. I have been gaining a bit more confidence (hiking Whitney in a day did wonders for my esteem) so I would not be opposed to going out overnight again alone. I prefer to do a bit of reconn on a hike first before going out to spend the night just so I am somewhat familiar with the territory. I carry a SPOT also.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Realistically, six trips is pretty "newbie" for going solo. I did not start going solo until the last 10 years (out of nearly 50 years of backpacking!). And I still prefer a good hiking partner - problem is finding that perfect fit. It used to be my husband, but health problems have prevented him from backpacking the way we used to. I define "solo" as not meeting people on a daily basis. Nobody truly goes "solo" on the JMT or other popular trails, where everyone is in sort of a loose unorganized ever-changing "group". Even very experienced backpackers have to accept more risk when going truly solo. Beginners usually are dealing with about as much risk as they can handle even with a group. I am not an advocate of beginners going solo, women and men too.
bravefanla
Topix Acquainted

Re: Women Hikers/SPOT Device

Post by bravefanla »

Hobbes,
Thanks for responding to my question about the SPOT Device and for the link. Think I'll take the plunge.
Bravefan
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Bravefan,
There are several options available. There are several threads on the subject in HST. Here's one.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10201#sthash.U9wStdjG.dpbs
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
llamalynn
Topix Newbie

Post by llamalynn »

I slipped in some mud and sprained my ankle last summer in Matterhorn Canyon, 20 miles from the nearest trailhead. I took some Advil, wrapped it, and waited an hour but still couldn't put any weight on it. I was carrying the Delorme Inreach and called for help. YOSAR (Yosemite Search and Rescue) sent a helicopter in less than an hour, but they spent the entire hour asking me questions. When the EMTs arrived they said it was great to have all the info before they arrived so they knew to look for the blue tarp, that it wasn't life threatening, but that they needed the stretcher etc. I'll never hike again without my Delorme Inreach. I am a 62 year old woman who tries to go out every weekend from May through October (unless the snow comes early), and also take 2 or 3 week long trips every summer. But after the sprained ankle I couldn't do my planned 12 day trip last summer, so I can't wait for this summer. I have a bad back and can't lift over 5 lbs, so I bought some llamas to carry the weight because I couldn't bear to give up the wilderness.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Teresa Gergen »