Opinion: Quick and General Guide

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Opinion: Quick and General Guide

Post by rlown »

on that note. day one and day two are the most challenging to beginners. So maybe a roll-over into day two, when your hips hurt and you still have to go. Day two usually ends a beginners attempt at future backpacking, esp if they overloaded their pack.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Went through your blog...some good insights there...Kudos on that...
Respectfully though, not exactly the gear I would recommend to anyone just starting out, especially if they were serious about doing hiking long-term. Obviously my own gear choices have evolved differently than yours over time - BTW, my comments here are based solely on my own limited hiking experience.
Some of your named selections would work OK, if just beginning...but for the same money, you could do better. Looking at your personal carried-gear listed: While your named items might serve as a good jumping-off spot, something to ponder for unknowing first-timers, however, as one's backpacking knowledge grows, one would then be forced to buy anew (read more $$$) many of the first choices you have named. Specifically these items...
Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy 39 $299.99
Personally I find a bivy too confining, especially if tent bound long-term, and at $300, believe there are more palatial and less-expensive options.
GoLite Ultra 20F (Long) 21 $225.00
A good bag but... for another $100 (on sale?), I would opt for something WM and be warmer at altitude... Easier to resell too if you don't like the sport.
Therm-a-rest NeoAir (Reg) 14 $149.99
Not my preference...Personally, a short Pro-lite+ is lighter and cheaper?
Snow Peak Ultralite Stove 1.9 $59.95
I do more than boil water (cook fish and cook/simmer), even at that, a pocket rocket is much cheaper...but a remote canister stove would be my choice...yes, heavier but it gives one more options. Yours would work fine too but...
REI Ti Ware Nonstick Titanium Pot - 1.3 Liter 6 $59.50
If just boiling water, why the expensive nonstick titanium? My $10, 1.7 liter, 20-year-old, aluminum pot weighs about the same and no worries...lots cheaper too.
Light My Fire Spork 0.2 $1.39
Here the long-handled Ti spork works better, doesn't snap as easily, and you can reach to the bottom of the boil bag.
The Extractor for Snake, Bees, Bites 3.5 $14.99
For me, not something ever needed...not allergic to bees...snakes are rarely seen. YMMV.
Sea to Summit Pocket Shower 5.5 $24.95
A lot of weight for something I would never use...
Nalgene 32 oz Everday Bottle x2 70 $19.90 Includes water
Too heavy...a plastic 1 liter water bottle (or two) from the market also would work just as well and save 1/2 pound.
Sea To Summit DryLite Towels (XS) 1.3 $9.95
Towels?
Campsuds Soap with Citronella 5 $3.75
No soap in the backcountry...ever..
Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter 3 $59.95
A Sawyer drip filter works better - same price. (BTW, I have not filtered water Sierra the last 15 years but HYOH.)
MSR Dromedary 4.0 Liter 6.9 $32.95
2 Nalgenes and a 4 liter reservoir? No comment.

BTW, Where is the waterproof shell? Fishing gear? Fleece layer? Compass? Wool cap?

Just my 2¢
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Nice suggestions, Mark. I agree with them all.

Joshua, if you check my signature line, you'll see a link to our own website, backpackthesierra.com

We have a list of cheap, quick, light and multi-use items that save time, money and weight. If you want to encourage people to hike, it's important to emphasize that you can get out into the woods and enjoy yourself without spending $2500 per person on gear. About ten years ago we were hiking with gear that cost a total of about $600 for the two of us. And we had some wonderful adventures.

Backpacking is NOT a sport restricted to those who have loads of disposable income.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by joshuacourter »

@markskor
Thanks for your input and critiques. They have made me think of a couple things I am pondering doing with the guide. I will need to re-read the section on gear and how it connects to my gear list. Seeing your comment related to my gear list as well as some others, I think I see where my error may reside. Since I included my gear as a step, maybe that is inferring this is a beginner gears set? I am thinking I will have to put my gear in an appendices or something similar. I can then create a beginners gear page. Maybe that will help the guide out a lot? Anyway, thanks again for your critiques as it is very much appreciated it :nod:. I have already revised my gear list to be more current as I realized some new items I have acquired are missing and old ones needing removed (i.e. campsuds). I think I will also explain why I currently use the gear I do almost like a mini review of the product. This may answer some of the questions you posed above. Thank you again :)

@balzaccom
I will check out your link soon to get some ideas. If I use any, I will make sure to reference your site. If you would like me to do more, please PM we so we can discuss. Thanks so much for referring me there in advance :)