Loop Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AdirondackMike
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Loop Advice

Post by AdirondackMike »

About 2-3 years I ago posted an advice request on here. I got some really helpful advice and ended up doing a 3 night loop starting in Mineral King, Sequoia with my wife. I thought the trip recommendation was perfect, just challenging enough. It suited our ability and experience level perfectly....which is why I am back again.

Here is a link to the trip report I made in case you are interested

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7921#sthash.Nx015tT7.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Experience: Our level of backpacking experience is a 3, we definitely prefer trails, although some short xc would be ok.

Interests: Our main interests are getting some relative solitude, big mountain scenery, and lakes.

Length of Trip: We can take 5 nights in the backcountry.

Distance: We are flexible but 5-10 miles a day seems about the right amount, depending on whether or not we ascend a pass.

Type: We prefer loops but are interested in out and backs as well, no dog. We don't have any preference for area in the Sierra. We will be flying into and out of LA so I guess further south is better, but we don't mind driving far.

I really appreciate any ideas, even if they are quite general.

Thanks!!!

Mike
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Loop Advice

Post by balzaccom »

There are so many to choose from!

DO you want to stay in SEKI, or are you open to areas further north? The trip from Marvin Meadows to Jennie Lake, Twin Lakes, Ranger Lake, Seville Lake and back is about 25 miles to so....lovely loop with some amazing views from Silliman Pass...

IN the Emigrant Wilderness, you could hike out Gianelli Cabin to Wire Lakes, then back through Deer Lake and XC up to Y Meadow Lake and home...

In Yosemite you could hike up Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang, go down Lewis Creek and then back up Fletcher Creek

We have trip reports on these and so many more trips on our website...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
tim
Topix Expert

Re: Loop Advice

Post by tim »

We had a great mix of classic JMT scenery and remote untraveled areas on our Davis Lakes loop in 2013. It does have a day and a bit offtrail, but that was the best part for us and the kids managed it fine.
Trip report here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;