Canister Stove Fuel Consumption....

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Canister Stove Fuel Consumption....

Post by longri »

markskor wrote:
longri wrote: From my perspective there is never any need for the added weight/bulk of a remote stove in the Sierra.
Respectfully disagree.
How can you "disagree" with what I experience? It's subjective, personal. It isn't open to debate. We can debate facts but not personal preference.
markskor wrote:What extra bulk? The stove fits safe and easily inside of my cooking pot which is large enough to feed two adults (pot also holds my reel, extra spools, scrubby, bics, etc.)
It is bulkier. Anyone can see that. In my pot I fit a 220g canister, windscreen, pot holder, scrubbie, a small towel, a lighter, usually some food and of course the stove too.
markskor wrote:That "extra" 3 oz of weight for the Windpro allows me to go higher, deeper, and longer for extended fishing trips, all year long...and cook fish and real food...simmers nicely too...stable, with a safe windscreen.
That's a difference worth mentioning. You cook fish on a regular basis and so carry a wide diameter fry pan. I only rarely take a small fry pan. If I took a larger one I'd look for a stove that is more stable -- but not necessarily a remote stove.
markskor wrote:Maybe I just go higher or go out longer than you do...and do more than boil water?
Yeah, maybe that's it. I only boil water on overnight trips at 4000 feet. LOL

I have a remote canister stove. I'd carry it if it were worth it for me. But aside from better pot stability that I don't need and easier operation at temperatures I almost never encounter, for me it's just a bulkier, heavier stove.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

should probably return to can stove fuel consumption issue.

Not sure how to do that unless we line up the stoves and compare. Appears that intended usage comes into play, but, how does one factor that into the mix?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Swung by my usual outdoor store, and lo, they are phasing out Optimus and now carry Olicamp 4 season mix. Got some for Point Reyes next week. I was all ready to get a can of Optimus to weigh and compare brands and they didn't have the small ones, just the 8 oz versions I only carry for a very long trip. Hmmm, wonder if it is a supply issue, or others were complaining?
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:should probably return to can stove fuel consumption issue.

Not sure how to do that unless we line up the stoves and compare. Appears that intended usage comes into play, but, how does one factor that into the mix?
Side by side comparisons with everything carefully controlled and measured gives a baseline. With that approach it becomes clear that an integrated stove like the Jetboil is inherently more fuel efficient than non-integrated stoves. Using this same methodology, MSR rates their Pocket Rocket as slightly more fuel efficient than their Windpro II. I wonder why?

What counts is outside where wind and cold can play havoc with efficiency. The choice of pot size and shape, how high you turn up the stove and the type of cooking are additional variables to consider. People tend to rely upon their own experiences or anecdotal reports. That often leaves us lacking the information to really know what the differences are due to.

For example, Mark says he and a friend got 5 days out of a 220g canister using his Windpro II. My wife and I typically get about 3 1/2 days using our Snowpeak Gigapower. So can we conclude that the Windpro II is 40% more efficient than a Gigapower?

It may be that the Windpro II is more fuel efficient, at least with how Mark uses his. But from these examples there's no way to determine that.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Wow, gone for a few days and my question gets four pages of responses!! Reading the responses, it appears my stove's fuel consumption is about the same as others experience who cook in a similar fashion. A properly designed foil windscreen, that directs heat towards the pot and not the canister, could help my fuel last a little longer. Maybe enough for two meals. I should also keep using the snow peak or msr fuels and stay away from Optimus since some have had worse fuel consumption results.

Thank you all for the valuable information.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Glad you got something useful out of our yakking.

Now I have a question for you: Why do want to conserve fuel?
I'm not joking, it's a serious question.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Good question. I believe conserving fuel at times can be good when conditions at another time can be wasteful. So why not learn how to conserve fuel, especially if it can be as easy as using a wind screen. I would rather not unexpectingly run out of fuel, especially since most of my meals are not dehydrated meals.