Favorite trailhead

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite trailhead

Post by sparky »

I have only used it a couple times, but I really like the lakes trailhead out of wolverton. Solitude in 1/2 a day without a ton of work
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have used the Wolverton Trailhead a few times too. I am not quite sure what you mean by the "lakes trailhead". I use the Wolverton Trailhead to get onto the High Sierra Trail via Panther Gap. I calculated the elevation gain and mileage between going in Crescent Meadow or Wolverton, there is not that much difference in effort or time. The only thing about parking at Wolverton is the uphill coming out, but by then my pack is really light.

The trailheads I use the most are not those necessarily the ones I like the best. The southern trailheads on the east side are a days drive for me. As much as I like Horseshoe Meadow, it is just a long ways away. I prefer to be able to get on the trail the same day I drive. It eliminates the fuss of car camping. I like the drive to the east side better than fighting all the large rig truck traffic down Hwy 99. I really feel the drive to the east side is part of the trip itself - very pleasant and scenic. But the Kearsarge trailhead is about as far south as I can go and still get on the trail the same day. You do not have to get that far up the trail from Onion Valley (or is it Onion Meadow?) to find a placed to camp. No one has mentioned Onion Valley - it is a quick way to get into the heart of the mountains too.

One trailhead that I have used twice, and nobody has mentioned, is George Creek. Not exactly a backpacking trailhead. I used it to climb Mt. Williamson and a failed attempt on Mt Carl Heller. I am quite happy that they have lifted the restrictions on it. Once you get up through the lower part, it is really great country - pretty open and spectacular. Great climbs in there.

And another one I have used twice is Tuttle Creek. I love the Ashram. Again this is a climber's trailhead. Used it to climb Lone Pine Peak and Langley.

The oddest trailhead was Armstrong Canyon. You need a 4wd for that one. Again, used it for some climbs. Also no water - so had to melt snow for water.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I should have said the lakes trail....the trail to pear lake.

I have used panther gap to the HST but I started at lodgepole. I found it much nicer than crescent meadow.

Oh yes and onion valley. Another place to quickly get off trail to solitude and great scenery with little effort.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

Rancheria, Copper Creek, and South Lake for the destination, which should be apparent, above all other factors.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Most frequented trailhead...Mosquito Flat, but the favorite is the one I'm hiking out of. The newest trailhead (to me) that I've been to...Fern Lake. I always disregarded that trail because it was short. Visited Fern Lake in November.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Any trailhead closed to stock travel, for obvious reasons.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I like North Lake a lot. You can get over Puite Pass quickly and into some a amazing country fast.

Texan
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I really like Mineral King. So many wonderful trips there. But...it is a looonnggg drive for me. I would say most frequented is Tuolumne area...same but opposite reason....short drive for me.
I would say Roads end would be close to the top of my list and someone mentioned Maxson earlier...oh yea!:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I guess I don't have a single favorite. Perhaps this should be kickoff points, since some of my favorites are not "trailheads" because there is no trail. Some kickoffs I like because there are lots of places that can be easily reached and the starting point is very scenic (examples: Little Lakes Valley, Saddlebag Lake, Virginia Lakes). Others I like because there are some serious lunker lakes within easy range of the car (several trailheads in Desolation).

I like the big East Side takeoffs for getting to the deep backcountry, but I like those that you don't have to pull 5000'+ of gain to get to the first lake with good fish in it. To that end, I guess my favorite high East Side kickoff point is North Lake: One way you can go over Lamarck Col, the other way over Piute Pass. West side is trickier. My current favorite is Hoffman Mtn., but part of that may be the novelty of starting major trips with an off trail segment right off the bat with two top-of-the-line destinations as alternate first targets. Like WD I don't like Edison or Florence because of that long road. I have long been someone who likes fast mountain driving, but I don't like folks rounding blind curves too fast to avoid oncoming traffic as is a bit too common on that road. I will confess to being relieved when I have a "lead blocker" of that variety. My 2nd favorite W side entry after Hoffman Mtn. is Wolverton because you can get out on to the Tableland so quickly. I like Road's End, but it is a long way to get to the first fishing lakes on the main Bubbs spur (Sphinxes or East L) and that other one "up the side" is 5500+ of gain to reach. Road's End plays like an East Side kickoff for the amount of hiking to the first camp.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

South Lake (Bishop Pass) is my favorite east side TH. Starts out high, and you are immediately rewarded by walking past beautiful lakes and big-peak scenery in the first couple miles. Then to hit Bishop Pass and have the Palisades/Dusy Basin/LeConte Cyn in your face is sublime.

Favorite west side TH is Crescent Meadow on the High Sierra Trail. Starting out by walking past giant Sequoias and then bursting out into that breath-taking panorama of the Kaweahs and basin the whole way in to Bearpaw is just stunning.