Favorite trailhead

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite trailhead

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not have "favorite" trailheads. I am just happy that there are so many to choose from. I even like Taboose! I have never had a "bad" experience with permitting, in fact, the rangers have been very flexible and helpful. And I simply do not expect solitude the first few miles. I do a lot out of Yosemite Valley and really get a kick out of the tourists! I can leave the trail anytime to get solitude when I want it.

I do have a few less liked ones. I am not too fond of driving to Edison or Florence Lake. I really hate that road! I am a timid driver and have been honked at and given the finger many times. And I am not that fond of the required shuttle service to Devils Post Pile trailheads. It eats up a lot of time. And paying $$ to park at Twin Lakes is annoying.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I'm with you Daisy---those are three areas that I think I choose less often because the hassles you've identified.

And we like exploring a different trailhead--not only because you get to meet new rangers staff...but I think that each trailhead has a kind of unique culture, and it's fun to see those.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

My favorite is the one I am taking next. that changes from week to week. Next weekend, snowshoes from Badger pass. The following weekend, weather permitting, Point Reyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Taboose Pass and Shepherd Pass, very low traffic, and some of the best views in the
Sierra at the top.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I do have a few less liked ones. I am not too fond of driving to Edison or Florence Lake. I really hate that road! I am a timid driver and have been honked at and given the finger many times.
I don't mind that road; I just take it slowly and carefully (and pull out at the first opportunity when there's someone who wants to go faster). For me, the spectacular views make up for a lot of the driving difficulty.

On the other hand, the Dinkey Lakes trailhead is one I will not do again. The condition of the "road" is just too horrible, and there are too many places where anyone with a normal vehicle risks major damage.

ETA:
And I simply do not expect solitude the first few miles. I do a lot out of Yosemite Valley and really get a kick out of the tourists! I can leave the trail anytime to get solitude when I want it.
Well, I'm just a Misanthroupic Basterd. The sooner I can be shut of the loathsome pests called "humans", the better.
Last edited by TehipiteTom on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've been concerned a few times following you that your Fit would fall into a pothole and I wouldn't notice driving over you in my truck (13" of suspension travel and maybe a solid 8" of sustained clearance). :D

I still like TM and North Lake.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Wandering Daisy wrote:...And I simply do not expect solitude the first few miles. I do a lot out of Yosemite Valley and really get a kick out of the tourists! I can leave the trail anytime to get solitude when I want it.
True. And I don't mind people that much. My PackPard is the one that does not want to see people. That's right, I'm the fun one. ;) It did get a bit tedious the first day in the EW last year when a Boy Scout troop decided to camp and swim just upstream from us. I had to get out our water supply fast. People and Marmots are what spread Geardia (however spelled).
...And I am not that fond of the required shuttle service to Devils Post Pile trailheads. It eats up a lot of time.....
Yes, but very impressive for Noobs.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

I like starting up high from somewhere "relatively" close to San Diego. Mineral King fits the bill (made many hikes out of there back in the '70s) as does Cottonwood Lakes/Horseshoe Meadows (made some hikes out of there the last few years). North Lake up by Bishop is nice too.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:I've been concerned a few times following you that your Fit would fall into a pothole and I wouldn't notice driving over you in my truck (13" of suspension travel and maybe a solid 8" of sustained clearance). :D

I still like TM and North Lake.
Yes, that's why I specified "normal vehicle". People who drive abnormal vehicles like yours might well be perfectly okay.
;)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I actually bottomed out on the Quartz mtn trail on the way out. a massive trench in the shade that I didn't see. speed may have been a small factor :retard: (another nice TH)

And thanks. I've always thought of the ol' dodge as somewhat abnormal. :)