Backpacker magazine quoted us...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Backpacker magazine quoted us...

Post by balzaccom »

A few weeks ago we got an email from Backpacker magazine, asking us for "local tips" on where people might go hiking in the Emigrant Wilderness. We were flattered, and even if we hadn't been, we would still have given them free advice. After all, it's what we do on our website,

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it was fun to see our recommendation appear in the latter pages of the new issue of Backpacker. Of course, it was edited down to fit a small space, but still.

We buy this magazine in airport news stands--despite the focus on danger (WAYYY too many bear stories!) and fear-mongering about deadly trails and desperate situations. It also has some good tips on basic techniques, and lots of suggestions of where to hike the next time you hit the trail, whether that be in Maine or Arizona.

And this month, one of those tips is the Emigrant Wilderness...Here's a link to their website: http://www.backpacker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Backpacker magazine quoted us...

Post by gary c. »

That's pretty cool. I subscribe and will look for it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Congrats!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

It's on page 62.

I agree, Pingree and Yellowhammer are fun destinations.
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

I saw this thread last week and ordered a subscription. Looks like a cool mag.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

A mixed bag - sometimes their advice is for the birds and they clearly make bucks rec'ing mainstream gear, so cottage makers rarely appear. The articles on hammocks have been spectacularly uninformed as well. Featured trails can get real crowded the following season so if you want to do it w/o crowds wait a year or two... The pictures are nice.

They posted my rec for a Yosemite hike some years back but butchered the paragraph I submitted. [emoji58] oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Backpacker magazine has always been a mixed bag. I have been subscribed to it for many years. My oldest sister once graced the front cover. That was cool. Mostly ads but once in awhile a article that is of interest.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I get a Backpacker sub now and then when it is inexpensive thru Amazon, or another source, and the annual gear issue is pretty good, but limited. But it is a national magazine, and what a mark of distinction, to get something published there. Congrats! This site has a lot more useful info, and the photos are just as good! plus the community aspects, HST is hard to beat!