new to snoeshoeing

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
mtn.horhe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

new to snoeshoeing

Post by mtn.horhe »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to organize a small snowshoeing trip for the 20th of Dec and was hoping to get some advice on where we should go since we are snowshoeing rookies. I have considered doing something in Yosemite or Huntington lake area, but I am having trouble finding specific places to go. We all live in the Fresno area and all have hiking experience, but as stated earlier we are all new to snowshoeing. I hoping that someone knows of some fun/easy places to get our feet wet (No pun intended).

Tyler
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: new to snoeshoeing

Post by gary c. »

I have not done much snowshoeing but this might be a good place for rookies to start.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/BadgerPass_Snowshoeing.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

there should be enough snow to do Tokopah falls from Lodgepole in Sequoia NP. it is short and you have the river to guide you - just stay well away from the water edge. Big Baldy is also fun. Have hot cocoa at one of the lodges afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

In Yosemite, the place to start is Badger Pass. The Glacier point road is closed for the winter and snow-covered, so you can head out that way as far as you are comfortable.

In the Huntington/Shaver area, Sierra National Forest has a number of marked snowshoe/XC ski routes starting from several points along the road to Huntington Lake. Some info on their website here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sierra/ ... ntersports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it's not very clear.
They have a map of the trails here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/sierr ... width=full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd call the Prather ranger station (559) 855-5355 and talk to them about it.

All of these options will be well-marked routes on snow-covered roads, perfect for first-timers.

For the National Forest stuff you'll probably need a sno-park pass. Check with the rangers about that.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Ya, Tokopah Falls out of Lodgepole up in Sequoia is a great one to start at. It's pretty, flat, and east to follow.

The cool thing about snowshoeing is you can go anywhere you want and as soon as you're a few yards from the car it all looks like wilderness.
mtn.horhe
Topix Acquainted

Post by mtn.horhe »

Thanks for the responses guys! I think that Tokopah Falls out of Lodgepole sounds pretty cool, but I am having a difficult time finding out if they have snow right now. I am assuming that Tokopah falls is an actual hiking trail that just happens to have snow on it?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

yes, it has snow. yes, there is a trail but typically you'll not find it in several feet of snow. does not matter where the trail is anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk