Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Hobbes »

Dave, you'll be happy to know that I'm wrong and you're right about the length of the Shepherd pass trail distance. Here's what Tom K has to say about it:

I use the 11 mile figure given on Harrison's map, because it approximates my own time and energy derived estimate. The 9.5 figure is a lot closer to what the trail used to be before they went in and re-engineered it to make it easier for stock. Those long, loopy switchbacks on both sides of the Symmes/Shepherd Creek divide really add some distance to the trail. If you pay attention, you can still see traces of the old short, steep, and to the point switchbacks on the Symmes Creek side up near the divide. I loved 'em. So, that adds up to 14.4 miles from the PCT to TH (vs my 12.9).

If it's not too much to ask, can you take a look at my breakdown and add any edits to the major sections I've identified? Since you've gone through the trouble of carefully analyzing the entire trail, I'm guessing you already have mileage estimates for these waypoints. TIA

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Sandbagger:

It's not so much that Tyndall is obscure, once you know that you have to parallel the Kern trail to intersect it, but if your main objective at that point in the trip is to get back to Shepherd TH ASAP, you're probably better off boogying on up the Kern trail to Milestone and returning the standard way.

Going up the Tyndall Creek trail would be considerably harder than coming down it, and you'd still have a long way to go once you hit the PCT. (Kathy W) Maybe better to save it for a trip when you're coming in over Shepherd.

I'd highly recommend doing it at least once, as it's a delightful hike on a seldom used trail. While I'm thinking in this mode, you really ought to bushwhack down Whitney Creek into Kern Canyon someday. That is a real off trail experience to be savored. You get bonus points for style if you do it en route to Kaweah.

Understand this is a guy who was seeded in marathons & ultras in his 40s; he's now 74. I'm still working on him to attend the 2015 meet-up, but it was an iffy proposition from the start. In fact, I felt it was sensitive enough suggesting his 'private' area of the Sierra for the 2015 meetup venue, that I alerted Mav & Oleander that he was on the way up Shepherd when they were descending after the 2014 meet-up, and that perhaps they should say "hi".

Now that he knows that 5, 7, maybe even 10 people are expected to attend, I don't think he's going to make an appearance. Still, there's a wealth of experience to tap - he's even got a HST handle, but I guess there's something going on with his login status.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

If we have a wet year(I am hoping), I wonder how difficult the ford of the Kern will be for those approaching the Colby trail from the east.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rich wrote:
If we have a wet year(I am hoping), I wonder how difficult the ford of the Kern will be
for those approaching the Colby trail from the east.
Even if we have a wet Winter, by the end of July the ford will not be dangerous Rich.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I've not been around too much lately so I'm just finding this thread today. I'm still putting together next summer's plans and already have a week in Ionian basin planned sometime in August. But I'll probably be skipping a trip that I usually do earlier in the year so I *should* have the extra time off to do another week out. I'll take a look at my calendar and try to make this work. I'd really like to get back in this area - likely would be coming in via the west side since I'm coming from the Bay area, I'll take a deeper look at the options mentioned in this thread, maybe meet up with the bay area folks on the way in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Calipidder wrote:
I'd really like to get back in this area - likely would be coming in via the west side
since I'm coming from the Bay area, I'll take a deeper look at the options mentioned
in this thread, maybe meet up with the bay area folks on the way in.
Their are a few of us, myself included, going from the Bay Area, let us know your plans
once they have solidified.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Looking at the trail southwest down Tyndall Creek canyon from Shepherd Pass notice some obvious USGS trail alignment mistakes. See map pic. (Note this is a small part of an enhanced map I've made of the whole Upper Kern Basin.)

East of Tyndall Creek at 3400+ meters after passing over a small stream draining a marsh the map trail shows going around on the west side of a forested area which later reaches a junction swith the PCT at 3360 meters. Google Earth clearly shows there has never been a trail as shown but rather the trail goes per my red arrow into the forest. Just right, east, of that arrow is where I had drawn a yellow line for my cross country route to the Tawny Lakes. Had done so because did not want top drop 150 feet or so to the PCT only to climb back up for no reason. Cannot see the trail at all on GE in the forested area. Suspect the actual trail does not lose altitude so ends up at the south end of the Tawny Lakes bench anyway? Maybe one of you can recall that section?

Am splitting the 6.4k effort over Shepherd into 2 each slow and easy 3.2k days so on the second day am likely to make camp late pm near Tawny lake 4 which would be about an 8 mile day. Possible reasonable shot at dusk from those little lakes over the GWD which would be up only about 8 degrees. Next morning day 3 dawn hiking by sunrise would be in the Wrights Cr basin early where will base camp a couple days.

On day 8 will be on way out after 3 days base camping about the Upper Kern Basin. South of lake 3470 instead of taking trail that joins PCT along Tyndall Creek southward obvious better route is where my 14 mile marker shows, to vector along my yellow line due east cross country for a half mile that regains the trail at about 3430 meters on way towards Shepherd Pass. GE doesn't show any use paths along that route but in such flat terrain using the trail would be non-sense. GE pic shows view due west from the X mark so route finding as easy as it ever gets.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

That whole Tyndall plateau area is pure line of sight x-c. Once you come over Shepherd, you can basically walk in a straight line to wherever you want to go. It's not until you drop down to around 10.5k (ie the PCT/Shepherd/LSA junction) that both trees & terrain begin to play a part in route decisions.

I noted above that I think the area is starkly beautiful. It sits in the rain shadow of the Great western divide, so it's almost like a high desert. Here's a view (taken from the PCT below Forester early last June on my Onion-Portal fast pack) of the plateau looking past the 'marshes' identified on your map towards Rockwell:

Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Here is my rough draft intinerary. I'm coming from the Bay Area so am looking at a west entrance and will most likely exit the same way for easier logistics. I'll enter Kaweah Basin over Pyra Queen per Maverick and others' suggestions. I wanted to catch a glimpse of the Whaleback and Cloud Canyon so will loop north on the return which will also reduce retracing my steps. I haven't worked out the details of each day yet. For example, I haven't decided how I would get to the lake below Triple Divide Peak on day 5 yet. I'm also wondering whether I should spend a night at Red Spur Lakes instead of the layover at Island Lake. Maybe I need an additional day to accommodate camping at all three Kaweah Basin, Red Spur Lakes, and Island Lakes? Any comments/suggestions on my overall plan are welcome and appreciated!

Day 1: Crescent Meadows TH to Buck Creek or Hamilton Lakes
Day 2: Buck Creek/Hamilton Lakes to a lake on west side of Pyra-Queen Col (don't know which lake yet)
Day 3: Over Pyra-Queen Col through Kaweah Basin to Island Lake meetup (too much?)
Day 4: Layover - dayhike to Red Spur Lakes
Day 5: Island Lake to lake just below Triple Divide Peak and NE of Pants Pass along the Kern Kaweah River.
Day 6: Up over Triple Divide Pass to Glacier Lake. Hike to Copper Mine Pass and back if time and energy permit.
Day 7: Down Lion Lakes Pass to Tamarack Lake
Day 8: Tamarack Lake to Crescent Meadows TH

Day 6 alternate 1: Over Pants Pass and Lion Rock Pass to Lion Lake
Day 7 alternate 1: Hike up Lion Lake Pass and back down. Then to Tamarack Lake.
Day 8 alternate 1: Tamarack Lake to Crescent Meadows TH

Day 6 alternate 2: Over Pants Pass to a lake in Nine Lake Basin or Precipice Lake
Day 7 alternate 2: Nine Lake Basin or Precipice Lake to Buck Creek or Nine Mile
Day 8 alternate 2: Buck Creek or Nine Mile to Crescent Meadows TH
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I'm still not 100% certain I'm going, but wanted to share a tentative itinerary for an 8-9 day trip:

Roads End - East Lake - Reflection Lake (must detour the extra 1/2 mile to see it) - Harrison Pass - upper Kern (perhaps pause here for semi-layover) - Milestone Basin - Milestone Pass - Milestone Bowl - Picket Creek Lake - Kaweah Basin somewhere with people - Pyra Queen Col - Nine Lakes Basin (pause) - HST to Crescent Meadow.

Haven't worked out a more detailed itinerary, nor figured out how to shuttle between trailheads.

- Elizabeth