Best Backcountry Meal of 2014

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Best Backcountry Meal of 2014

Post by maverick »

What was the best meal you had in the backcountry while backpacking this year?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Best Backcountry Meal of 2014

Post by RichardCullip »

PackitGourmet's Texas State Fair Chili. Yummy.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Always still looking, but this year could not get enough of buttered mash potatoes with real bacon bits and rehydrated country greens for dinner. Lunch was Whole foods Cajon Party Mix with very dry salami and a Pay Day mini candy bar for dessert.
Breakfast was whole grain puffed rice with a hemp-flax granola and pomegranate seeds mixed in for sweetness. The big losers this year were oatmeal and anything pasta, chili or Ramen. What seemed like a good idea at sea level, bombed at altitude. I always augment the diet with dried Seranos and Apricots from the garden.
I just purchased a packet each of salmon and Tsampa soup from Patagonia Provisions but have not tried them yet.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

This is a recipe for green chili pulled pork that I found and modified for dehydrating. I've always had a problem with the way that most dehydrated meat rehydrates but this shredded pork rehydrated very well. Put the pork on a tortilla with some cheese and maybe a green chili sauce packet from Del Taco and it's great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Same as every year. markskor's foil wrapped trout (with olive oil, garlic, seasoning blend) with puttanesca pasta.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hiking with Mike may present a few hick-ups but dinners have never been lacking. When going out off-trail and carrying 14 days of victuals, we eat quite well.

Breakfasts and lunches are individual and personal, but dinners are usually epic.
Even though we usually separate on fishing days to different sides of the lake (lots of fishing zero days are always part of Mike's agenda...the main reason why we go out), we have evolved a set, evening ritual: He bartends and I cook.

After a day of chucking lures off-trail somewhere, (we only keep enough fish for dinner), we then convene again at camp, around 5:00 - the coctail hour. Fresh snow is collected for slushy 151 Trail 'Ritas, always accompanied by a few slices of a variety of exotic cheeses as hors d'oeuvres. Dinner then consists of my "special recipe" trout...(got this down pretty well by now), and usually a fresh pasta alfredo or the like. After dinner comes a few chunks of dark chocolate and a generous slug of Grand Mariner...followed by more fishing.
Mountainman who swims with trout
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Trout chowder.
Homemade and improvised.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

On the first trip of each year I would cook sometime really good into which to put my grilled trout. When the first fish was ready I would always decide to eat just one and put the rest in the (stew). When the second was ready to filet I would decide to eat just one more. In the end the fish stew was eaten by my companion and I ate only a very small portion because I was full of BBQ trout.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I think one that stood out was while being in a major thunderstorm I ate blue box mac and cheese with 4 ounces of pepper jack cheese melted into it, 3 ounces of spam, 2 ounces of pepperoni slices and some red pepper flakes.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I think one that stood out was while being in a major thunderstorm I ate blue box mac and cheese with 4 ounces of pepper jack cheese melted into it, 3 ounces of spam, 2 ounces of pepperoni slices and some red pepper flakes.
That sounds really tasty!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray