Some Crappy Pictures of Half Dome

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Some Crappy Pictures of Half Dome

Post by Hikin Mike »

I was able to get up to Yosemite after a 2-year absence last Friday. This was also the first time that I photographed Half Dome from the Valley. I usually head up to the high country, but since Tioga was closed, I spent the day in the Valley.

Here are my favorites...

The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Some Crappy Pictures of Half Dome

Post by The Other Tom »

Nice shots, Mike. Thanks for posting.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Thanks Mike

Been missing your photos!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Some nice shots Mike! Good to see you were able to get up there - must've been a lot of fun after the long absence.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Nice Mike, #4 is the winner for me. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Thanks! It was nice to get back out again. I need to do this again....soon.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Nice capture Mike with #4 with a good sunset sky and reflection. During many falls unlike this droughty year of very low flows, the residual Merced water flow is enough to cause continuous small waves in the water. That spot with the fall leaf aspen and cottonwood has been a favorite site for tripods over long years.

At this time of year with the setting sun some 20 plus degrees south of due west, the face of the dome never is fully illuminated thus in partial shadows at best, as can be seen in image #2. That can be understood by looking at the topo. Thus potential better light for more even illumination will be after sunset on the dome IF there are clouds to reflect light down from. Blue skylight alone on sunny days is simply too cool unless one strongly manipulates in post processing. That is why the best time of year for highly detailed large images is best at mid summer about the solstice when the sun sets about 30 degrees north of due west and for this person that is usually about 5:30pm to 6:30pm before the sun altitude lowers so much that the lower heavy atmosphere to the west weakens the illumination. The classic telephoto shot of the face I've been wanting for years is from the meadow in May after a cold late season snowstorm is being pushed east late afternoon by usual cold clear air behind a front. That leaves its cliff ledges and helmet cap aesthetically covered by fresh snow. An additional bonus would be a mix of deep blue sky and a few nice clouds behind the dome.