Homemade Beef Jerky Question

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Homemade Beef Jerky Question

Post by InsaneBoost »

I'm going to attempt to make homemade beef jerky this weekend as I was able to finally buy a dehydrator for some meal making. I was wondering about storing it?

From what I recall, someone said if you plan on eating it within about three months you can easily put them in plastic bags that will seal. After that they recommended vacuum sealing it and putting it in the freezer until it was ready to be used.

I thought I got that advice on here, but after searching (maybe I'm just bad at searching), I couldn't come across it, so maybe I just read it somewhere else.

Regardless, I wanted to make sure that was true and okay? I personally don't plan on it being around that long. My guess would be 2 months top, but even that I don't see. I'm not making a lot of it, just enough for a trial run and a little day hike in Yosemite.

Will it be okay in regular plastic bags as long as I eat it in three months? Or should I get a vacuum sealer and store it in the fridge until I plan on hiking?

Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Homemade Beef Jerky Question

Post by maverick »

This should answer your question: http://beefjerkyrecipes.com/storing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks. Some really good information there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

it's a noble cause to do it yourself. don't. buy what you need when you go and be done with it. Ziplocks will leave a taste after a month. The vacuum solution works better in a deep freeze, but why?

Just asking.

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I used to make a lot of beef and turkey jerky. It never hung around very long.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Raley's supermarket sells thin lamb flank steaks. They are pretty darn lean and not super "gamey" like some cuts of lamb. They make an excellent jerky, especially when seasoned with curry powder and/or chana masala.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

You can make a batch in your oven right before a trip; I used to do it all the time. Cut all the fat off, make sure the strips soak overnight in marinade, and let them cook/dehydrate in the oven for 2-5hrs at 175 degrees:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-homemad ... rkey-95962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, go a supermarket that has a 'real' butcher, and let him/her cut the 1/4" strips beforehand.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I have the butcher cut mine as well. I've not used the oven for jerky, but I've used it to dry several meals. I put it on its lowest setting, wedge a wooden spoon in the door to keep it open a bit, then blow a small fan across the top to circulate the air. Works great.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I usually try to find a good size eye of round roast, slice it as thin as possible while keeping your fingers. Marinate in Yoshida's Teriyaki Marinade mixed with crushed chiles (I like spicy), for a day or so. I then put in my Little Chief smoker with just a wee bit of chips, the red meats pick up too much smoke if you overdo it IMO. Let it go as just a dryer after the smoke stops and check it at the end of the day. If not a nice dark color, finish in oven at 190* unti dark and shiny. The Yoshida's gives it great flavor.

John
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I've been making my own jerky for many years. I wouldn't use a dehydrator. The reasonably priced ones like the Nesco don't have enough power and take too long. An oven at ~200 or a bit more works better, only taking perhaps 6 hours.

I generally don't use beef as it's relatively tough to chew. IMO, pork sirloin, chicken, and turkey are usually more tender.

The shortest length of time I've ever observed jerky getting any mold sitting in a zip-loc at room temperature was 1 month. But that was for a particularly moist batch for home eating, not the drier version for backpacking. It's hard for me to say much beyond that because it simply doesn't last. If I have some leftover, folks scarf it down quickly.

I'd add some lemon juice (citric acid) and/or ascorbic acid (AKA vitamin C, in the Fruit Fresh product) to the marinade. They serve as decent (relatively) natural preservatives.

One of the many advantages of making your own jerky is that you can dry it as much as you like and not have to chew the 'leather' like you do with most store-bought brands. Another is that you can use fatter (marbled) cuts of meat to increase the Cal/oz. The commercial jerkies I've looked at all had poor Calorie densities. I easily achieve a third or more higher.