Carbs

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Carbs

Post by maverick »

What is you favorite source of carbs will in the backcountry?

1. Rice

2. Pasta

3. Potato

4. Couscous

5. Quinoa

6. Other (what?)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Carbs

Post by RichardCullip »

Chocolate
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

2 and 3. haven't really tried 4, but i find rice disgusting.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

No favorite. I get tired of the same thing, so take a huge variety. On a longer trip I have to fit everything in the bear can - so I only take whole-wheat flat pasta - no shape with holes. Cous-cous packs really well. Lately I have been trying the quick-cook barley. I prefer brown rice. I like instant potatoes, but they do not fill me up as well as other carbs. On shorter trips I may take some tortillas and crackers. Actually trail bars have a lot of carbs. So does dried fruit - my favorite is dried mangos and apricots. I am big on nuts and dried fruit.

Food portions out at 30% fat (I use a lot of olive oil), 20% protein, 50% carbs. That is % calories, not % weight. I will go as low as 15% protein if I am sure I can catch fish.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Rice/pasta/ramen.
Tortillas/flatbread/bagels/crackers/pretzels.
Sucrose/glucose/fructose.

A sizable portion of my backcountry food tends to include those last simpler carbs. A poor long term diet it would be, admittedly.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Why didn't you put alcohol on the list?

No favorite. Variety is the spice of life.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Ditto on chocolate.

I use various Mountain House and Backpacker's pantry on my trips and I've found that rice dishes always turn out better than those with pasta (the pasta never rehydrates like it should). My wife is Asian, so we eat a lot of rice at home. On top of the rice, my two most favorite freeze dried meals are Backpacker's Pantry Channa Masala and Katmandu Curry, which have garbanzos and lentils and rice, respectively. So add legumes to the list. These meals also have fairly high calorie counts per serving (340 and 440), which makes up for my light, chocolate-based lunches. They are not for those that are spice adverse, so sample before you take.

We also eat a lot of "the catch of the day," and will fry up just about anything that will bite. Protein is not usually an issue.
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

I eat a lot of rice, pasta, and potatoes. I dehydrate the rice and pasta at home and bring Idahoan brand potatoes. Rice noodles are good too, especially the ones that only need to soak in hot water. Potatoes seem to be the least volume so we eat a lot of those on trips where bear canister space is tight.

Crackers and sliced bread come on short trips or for the first day. On long trips we have tortillas, pita and flat bread. I just have to remind my husband to not get the low carb tortillas when he does the shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

When it comes to backpacking I only eat freeze dried meals and energy bars. I feel they offer the best nourishment for the weight. Now car camping, that's a different story! We love going all out on our meals.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

i avoid non-food items (10 year shelf life? that's a chemistry project). Dehydrating things I make at home is easy and cheap, and the msg and other guck is absent.

Can no longer stand Clif bricks. Too much brick, not enough flavor. I like their Kit's organic bars, but they are expensive. Nuts and a little rice syrup to hold them together with some dried berries for sweetness are good. Shredded coconut, rice cracker/nut mixes, tortillas and nut butters or dehydrated beans and rice with taco sauce for lunches work better for me. Tabouli, dal or curry; dehydrated chili (homemade or canned); couscous with whatever sounds good.

wholly burnt out on oatmeal, fake eggs, and peanut butter anything. Almond butter, McDougals cup o soups, smoothies, or whole grain instant cereal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk