MSR Windboiler – Completed Review

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: MSR Windboiler – Completed Review

Post by hikin_jim »

markskor wrote:If only for boiling water and heavier than most...why?
Well, that's an interesting question as to why certain people gravitate to certain stoves.

I suspect that many are interested in speed and convenience. I also imagine that the tremendous popularity of the Jetboil plays a part. If all of your friends have Jetboils and recommend them, what are you going to buy?

Efficiency can save weight if it means that you don't have to move up to the next larger canister. Efficiency can also be important if you're in an area where canisters are hard to find.

Anyway, I"m sure there are a 1001 reasons why individuals buy the stoves that they do. I don't psychoanalize, I just review stoves. :)
markskor wrote:BTW, I do enjoy the quality reviews...well done and keep up the good work!
Thanks.

Take care,

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

longri wrote:what were the fuel consumption figures? I only saw comparative values in the review.
To get really good numbers, I would have to buy something like ten of each stove, run ten canisters through each, and then average the numbers. I would have to do this under carefully controlled and monitored conditions. This type of testing is just beyond my resources.

I've done enough testing to give out some basic numbers to help understand the difference between the two stoves, but that's really all my numbers can be really relied upon for.

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

AlmostThere wrote:I warn folks not to cook then watch them burn a knorrs into the pot and ruin it trying to scrape it out...
Interesting that you should mention that. I ran a side by side test with the Windboiler and a Jetboil Sol cooking Knorrs chicken noodles. The Windboiler had no problems with sticking. The Jetboil had a lot of sticking. I can't explain it, so I didn't include it in the review, but that's what I experienced.
AlmostThere wrote:For windy places the MSR does look like an improvement tho. i set up a tarp once as a windbreak for my friend and her Jetboil when it blew out every time she lit it.
The Windboiler is amazingly windproof. I was quite impressed.

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

maverick wrote:Thank you Jim for posting this in-depth review, I am thinking about getting a new
stove, so this comes at a good time. Interesting info about the Sol line being
discontinued, any idea/guesses why Jim?
I believe the Zip killed the Sol. The Zip is $80 whereas the Sol is either $120 or $150, depending on whether you get Ti or Al. The Zip is only about 1 ounce heavier than the Al Sol. The average person appears to be willing to put up with 1 ounce in weight for $40 savings.

HJ
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

hikin_jim wrote:
longri wrote:what were the fuel consumption figures? I only saw comparative values in the review.
To get really good numbers, I would have to buy something like ten of each stove, run ten canisters through each, and then average the numbers. I would have to do this under carefully controlled and monitored conditions. This type of testing is just beyond my resources.

I've done enough testing to give out some basic numbers to help understand the difference between the two stoves, but that's really all my numbers can be really relied upon for.

HJ
I wasn't looking for really good numbers, just the ones you used to generate the relative numbers you quoted. It's not that important though.

The scenario where you are just squeaking by with one canister and the Jetboil uses ~15% more fuel and so requires a larger or second canister, you do save 1-2 ounces of weight. But in many other scenarios it's the other way around. And if you include other canister stoves the Windboiler gets blown away, weight-wise.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

markskor wrote:IMHO, there are many other canister stoves sold that are far less expensive, lighter, can simmer, and have the capacity to invert the gas canister. For me, having the ability to cook/simmer and that extra 1/2 pound matters, especially when solo. Interesting that many first-time JMT hikers seem to buy them - not so much the experienced PCTers though.
So, what is your recommendation? I just bought a Zip for $63, after realizing I used a lot of fuel with my exposed burner Brunton(Kovea) even with a windbreak. I do notice that the Zip is pretty much ON or OFF, no in between. But, mostly I make coffee, or soup, pretty stick resistant. Those freeze dried meals pretty much suck, I'm going more jerky and nuts this season.

John
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

John Harper wrote: So, what is your recommendation? John
For years I used a MSR XG, just because that was the stove real mountaineers used.

For the last 5 years have switched to the MSR Windpro (a great remote canister stove)...as I actually cook. (Works just like your gas stovetop at home...at altitude.)
It sits low, has a windscreen, simmers or blasts, is stable, has a wide flame pattern, and has the capacity to invert the canister. This inversion thing really helps out... forces out the heavier of the isobutane/propane mix...(turn the canister over and makes things go from sputter to full-on when the fuel is cold mornings...super easy).
The stove weighs 6.6 oz, folds up small inside my Al 1.5 liter cooking pot...thus cooks well for two even if one person is Mike, the OldRanger.

BTW, I keep my stove, extra fishing spools, Bics, hot pad, scrubby, and fishing reel safe inside of the cooking pot when hiking. The Windpro's "arms" also holds a frying pan steady (specifically my Ti 10-inch frypan)...the stove works well (proven often) for trout goodness, boiling water, simmering, as well as finishing-up/re-heating pasta type dishes.
Recommend highly!
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

markskor wrote:
John Harper wrote: So, what is your recommendation? John

For the last 5 years have switched to the MSR Windpro

BTW, I keep my stove, extra fishing spools, Bics, hot pad, scrubby, and fishing reel safe inside of the cooking pot when hiking. The Windpro's "arms" also holds a frying pan steady (specifically my Ti 10-inch frypan)...the stove works well (proven often) for trout goodness, boiling water, simmering, as well as finishing-up/re-heating pasta type dishes).
Recommend highly!
Mark
Thanks so much, I'll check it out as well. I love new toys, and my cat is not too picky about her Xmas gift. I pack my stuff as compact as possible too, it relieves my OCD.

Not so much my ADD. I just want to unpack and repack. Crap.

John
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

The Windpro is a nice stove. But by the time you add a pot and a windscreen it isn't that much lighter than one of the lighter Jetboil stoves. It probably isn't as good in the wind as a Windboiler but then it will do better in really cold conditions and you can actually cook a meal with it.

For a glimpse at what is possible, Roger Caffin built an inverted canister stove that weighs half as much as the Windpro, just 90g. He has sold a bunch of them but unfortunately you can't find one on the shelves at REI.

I have never needed to invert the canister while traveling in the Sierra. I'm sure there are some really cold nights in mid-winter but they must not be all that common. Most of the time it's 10 degrees F or warmer. And in the summer there is never any need to invert.

So for the vast majority of the time, a simple upright canister stove will suffice. You can buy one that weighs 1.6 ounces. Add to that a lightweight pot and a windscreen made from aluminum foil and you will easily beat the Jetboil and the Windboiler in the weight category.

But it won't be integrated. It won't be push-button. It won't be unaffected by the wind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

not sure why we're arguing about other stoves on this topic. it was a review on a particular stove and a pretty good one. A choice is a choice beyond that point. If you have a different point of view on a different stove, spin off your own review; or compare two or three. Video would be helpful. Nice job, hikin_jim.