What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Post by InsaneBoost »

I've looked around and found one thread that kind of answered my questions, but not fully. I'm looking to create my own first aid kit, as I think it can a) be done cheaper and b) I can keep things I will need, as some of the pre-made kits are said to have useless things?

What does everyone have in their first aid kits? What do you put everything in? Waterproof? Should I be looking at making more of a hybrid first aid/survival kit?

Thanks
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Post by dave54 »

A small flask of single malt Scotch. What else is needed?

All seriousness aside -- what kind of cuts/scrapes/injuries have you had in the past? That is a good place to start.

We all have seen those kits so comprehensive they have everything but an MRI machine. Those are not needed. My kit has an assortment of bandaids, small bandages, some antiseptic tubules, and a small assortment of nsaids, cold pills, etc.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pretty much what Dave said. Mine fits in a quart ziplock. And duct tape. can be used to secure a deeper wound.

It's also about what is not in a kit. Take the Red Cross courses on CPR and basic first aid.

http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/pr ... -first-aid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

band-aids
moleskin
ibuprofen

in a sandwich size ziploc
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

dave54 wrote:A small flask of single malt Scotch. What else is needed?

All seriousness aside -- what kind of cuts/scrapes/injuries have you had in the past? That is a good place to start.

We all have seen those kits so comprehensive they have everything but an MRI machine. Those are not needed. My kit has an assortment of bandaids, small bandages, some antiseptic tubules, and a small assortment of nsaids, cold pills, etc.
I honestly have never had anything bad. Just your typical cuts on sticks/branches and what not. My worst would have been in Yellowstone when I was trying to get a nice shot of a Bull Elk and when I came down on the other side of a fallen tree the branches cut me pretty good.

Never have had broken ankles, sprains, etc, but also don't want to assume that won't happen and be left without something needed either.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Based on personal experience I think it's very important to have a small tube of Neosporin plenty of band-aids, gauze wrap, medical tape and a suture kit. Experiencing extreme lacerations in remote locations that you may need to change bandages at least twice a day and sow up a wound is highly possible.

After tearing my finger open and having to ration my first aid supplies and then bum some off others I learned to carry more. I also have a finger that is no longer straight because I did not sow up the wound.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

RoguePhotonic wrote:
After tearing my finger open and having to ration my first aid supplies and then bum some off others I learned to carry more. I also have a finger that is no longer straight because I did not sow up the wound.
You could have sutured all day and your finger would still not be straight. Sutures are mainly for surface wounds in the field, and you either got infected or it was near a knuckle and you caused other trauma.

I do applaud the inclusion of a suture kit, but you also have to be willing to use it. Agree with the Neosporin as well. On that topic, I watched my dog being sewed up (I like to be involved). I found this to give tips. even though it's a vet pdf on suture, it applies: http://vpr.utsa.edu/files/larc/Principl ... turing.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

InsaneBoost, just because nothing has happened doesn't mean it won't. But don't go overboard. Take a class first, and that'll help you out immensely planning for the unplanned. Example, my ace bandage can be used in multiple situations (sprained ankle, wrist sprain, sling, or even for addition to splint support).
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

At some point you start making tradeoffs. The more stuff you carry 'just in case' the heavier and bulkier your kit. You start balancing probabilities against convenience.
It is possible you may be so injured your only recourse is to stabilize yourself, stay put and wait for the cavalry, but how likely is that?

Not everyone in the group needs to carry a full kit either. If you want a more complete kit, divide it up so no one person is carrying the whole thing.

Also -- go through the gear you normally carry anyway and look for things that can double duty. Clothing becomes large bandages and slings, socks and duct tape can be used as an ace bandage, etc.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Tape, triple-antibiotic, pain pills. Seems like most of the other stuff is redundant if you have those three.

Oh, on trips a week or longer I carry some antibiotics and have needed them twice. Once for an infected ingrown hair and once for strep-throat.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Combine the advice from Dave54 and daisy and that would be my advice.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!