In need of a new tent.Part 2, the decision.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

In need of a new tent.Part 2, the decision.

Post by whrdafamI? »

After much analizing of various different tents I changed my mind and went with a free standing tent. I bought a Big Sky Mirage 2P. It was expensive. With the different upgrades I opted for it came to $491. Weight is 2 lbs. 6 ounces. I have used it on 2 overnight trips and am very pleased. There was no waiting for delivery as he has addressed those problems and now seems to have them in stock. Condensation is somewhat a concern but has not been a problem so far. Construction of the tent is top notch. I checked all the seams very closely and could find nothing to fault. Also bought the foot print that they offer. Packed in its compression sack it is very small and doesn't take up much space in the pack.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: In need of a new tent.Part 2, the decision.

Post by rlown »

so this one? http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-mirage-2p-tent.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Congrats on your new tent. It's good to hear the wait time wasn't an issue. I read some of the negative reviews but I have had good experiences with the customer service at Big Sky. I like the lighter weight of the Mirage, I have the Evolution 2P and it's about 10 ozs heavier but it is double wall throughout and modular (net tent only or both).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Yes Russ, that is the one. Functional, easy and quick set up and practicle. One thing that really helped off- set the sticker shock was being able to turn my Fly Creek UL2 back into REI for a full refund. Their policy has changed on returns but I grandfathered in and therefore had no problems.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i'm guessing the fly doesn't require seam sealing. Any weather on it yet to determine that?

I was looking it up at saw this: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/faq/seam-sealing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guess it's the same process as sil nylon.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Russ,no seam sealer is required on this tent. All the seams are seam taped. This was another reason I went with decision and not the Six Moon Design I had initially selected. The other reasons were the size of the location to put the Lunar Duo up and that it had to be staked. As with any "free standing" tent staking is never completely eliminated. There are times when staking just has to be done.

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

whrdafnI wrote:
Russ,no seam sealer is required on this tent. All the seams are seam taped. This was another reason I went with decision and not the Six Moon Design I had initially selected. The other reasons were the size of the location to put the Lunar Duo up and that it had to be staked. As with any "free standing" tent staking is never completely eliminated. There are times when staking just has to be done. - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12064#sthash.efNfrKn7.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even when seams are taped I seal seams on the opposite side. Never know when the tape is going to detach. There is no time that I would pitch my "freestanding tent" without staking or using rocks. I find it best not to assume that it will stay calm.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Mike, that is not a bad idea. Thinking about setting this up in my backyard Friday and seeing how it performs in the weather they are claiming we are about to get.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

set it up. you're right! it would be a great report out on your choice. We get the deluge tonight in Petaluma. with wind (sucks).

russ
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We should all be setting up our tents in our backyards tonight! It would be a good test of weather-worthiness. I am going to pass, however, because of tons of our neighbor's palm leaves end up in our back yard every storm. I think those big thorns would ruin a tent in a hurry.