One Night Backpacking Trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: One Night Backpacking Trip?

Post by markskor »

One night trips...(This is for next season?)

Yosemite has the YARTS shuttle, so...
Porcupine Flats -> North Dome -> Upper Yosemite Falls, down next day and 5:00 PM bus back to car.
0r same TH, -> North Dome and down Snow Creek, bus back again.
Tenaya Lake to Lower Sunrise Lake - Clouds Rest -> ?
Tenaya Lake - Sunrise Lakes -> Cathedral Lakes loop?
Yosemite Creek TH (120) -> Upper Falls - down to Valley and bus again?

Saddlebag Lake over to the McCabes and back...lots of Yosemite options.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

when?

there are more single night trips within three hours of Fresno than one would expect. not so many that I would recommend in November...

Do your friend a favor - don't take the trailhead at Jackass Meadow to Jackass Lakes. Drive a little bit more and take the trail from the Norris trailhead instead. Brought to you by Don't Kill The Newbie(tm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Remember. One or MORE nights require a minimal amounts :\ equipment... They may like it and please pack an extra day of food, just Thinkin :D
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks for the information so far everyone.

Yes this would be for next year, around spring some time. I'm not sure of an exact time, I'm guessing Mayish possible or definitely June.

I'll take a look into some of the Yosemite ones being we go there a lot to begin with and know our way around (minus backpacking of course). I've always wanted to do some stuff near Clouds Rest, so maybe that would be the one to do?

We'll go over some of the options you all mentioned and decide which one from there.

Thanks again!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Actually just found some information on that Chain Lakes hike and think that might be the perfect route to go.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If the snow is not an issue. It will be if this winter approaches normal... we'll see how it goes. Road openings to most suggested areas are key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

There are two trailheads, Quartz Mt. and Chiquito. It is likely that the lakes will be ice free before the road to Quartz Mt. is clear. Then you would be stuck with an additional 2+ miles and more vertical climb. For an overnighter to Chain I would want to make sure that you can make it to the Quartz Mt Trailhead. You really have to know ahead of time because the travel time between the two trailheads by vehicle is pretty significant. Best to scout a week before the planned trip if it will be early in the season. The issue is not only snow on the road but trees across the road. The forest service does not clear the spur roads of trees very early in the season.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

watching the weather before any trip almost goes without saying. March might be early. As AT points out, it all depends on what Winter brings. I'm hoping for a big, deep snowpack, but.. I'd also vote for a Quartz TH start.

EDIT: I don't know where i picked up on March :retard: . Early June would be a great target. Sorry.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

I'm all fine with there being snow and delaying anything. We definitely need it. Definitely going the Quartz way. Looked like is said 6 miles in and 6 miles out. The other one starts at the creek I think? And is about 9 in and 9 out.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Well, anything over 8000 feet before July is suspect for reasons of snow and stream crossings. It just depends on the Winter. I know of a number of snow-free May hikes, but most are not overnights.

Naturally, there are a few obvious ones early season:
Kibbie Lake: Only if the road is finally open after the Rim-Fire damage.
Hetch-Hetchy Rancheria Falls: Always a sure things and at its best early season.
Little Yosemite Valley: On day 2 you can do Half-Dome (with a permit) and have plenty of time to get back to the TH.
Sunrise Creek Shuttle: IF the Tioga Road is open and IF Tenaya creek is cross-able, from Tenaya Lake, hike to Sunrise Creek and camp (you can even throw in a visit to Clouds rest if it is snow-free), and next day, do Half-Dome (with a permit) and have plenty of time to get back to the TH in Yosemite Valley.

There are a few other less demanding and less interesting and less challenging overnighters above Yosemite Valley that are pretty obvious.

Paradise Valley Kings Canyon: If the road is open to Roads End, this is a pretty decent hike with some nice views.
Roads End to Bubbs Creek: Not the most interesting hike, but if you want to get "out-there" and get some exercise...
Roads End to Lower Tent Meadow: Same as above.
Kings Canyon Deer Cove and Wildman Meadow: From the Deer Cove Creek TH, a lot of exercise for marginal rewards. I have done this one a few times early season: the south facing slopes means it is snow free early, and sometimes the road is open to this TH point when the KC road ahead is still closed off. This is a better hike if you camp at Wildman Meadow, and take another day to day-hike (over snow) up to the Monarch Divide.
Middle Fork Kaweah River: You can get a good ways up this river early season, although the stream crossings could get hairy. A hike for those desperate to get out.
And so on...

Early season, the trick is to find hikes low in altitude and/or with south facing slopes if you want dry trails.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;