One Night Backpacking Trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

One Night Backpacking Trip?

Post by InsaneBoost »

A friend of mine wants to get into backpacking, but is asking to do just a one night trip rather than a two or three day one some of you gave me as a good beginners trip.

I guess my question is, is there even such a thing as a one night trip? I wouldn't think you'd be able to get very far unless you were able to basically speed walk about 10 miles in and out, but even then, would those areas be packed? Are you even allowed to camp in them?

I guess I've just never heard of a single night one so am looking for some information on if this is possible and if there is a place to go to specifically.

I'm also down for a camp and a hike, just don't know where to begin at all.

My only guess would be somewhere around the Ansel Adams Wilderness in that area where the French Fire happened. I believe a trail starts somewhere near Jackass meadow? Seems to be usually quiet back there, so even if we didn't get far, it would give him a decent taste on how it is, but also some quiet. Can you camp there though?

I also need to do a little trip to get myself prepared more and more for the bigger trips.

Any ideas on what to do? Where to go. Should we be looking at a minimum of two nights?

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: One Night Backpacking Trip?

Post by rlown »

Chain Lakes could be a 1 night trip, based on your location.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

I know a lot of folks who hike into the Forks of the Kern for an overnighter. It can be a short hike of just a couple of miles or one that is a bit longer. It just depends on how far up the main fork of the Kern you want to hike. Lots of other nice hikes in the Golden Trout Wilderness portion of the Southern Sierra.

Also, if you wanted to hit the east side of the Sierra, you could hike into the Cottonwood Lakes basin. It's a ~5 mile hike with a 1,00ft elevation gain. You start at ~10,000ft so you can experience the high country with a fairly short hike.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Vandeburg, jackass lakes, Jennie lake, Pear, several lakes in Kaiser Wilderness are all possibilities with easy access from Fresno. But I think Russ has a good suggestion, too.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

for info on chain, you can look for my report (think i did one), or viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11697#sthash.P00gVRXj.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vandeburg wasn't bad either but it's all really up hill.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Geez, an overnight trip: all of the disadvantages and none of the advantages. Generally. Packing, preparing, travel, unpacking, setup, no acclimation, everything you saw on the way in you see on the way out like it was yesterday. Which it was.
A shuttle trip would be more fun and interesting. I can think of some shuttles, depending on the time of year for a target. I will think on this.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

I have no suggestions for destinations, but a take on the overnight thing. I don't hike on Sunday for religious reasons, so if I go out on the weekend it's Friday/Saturday. I live in Southern California, but somewhat close to the San Gabriels, so I can be at a trailhead in 30 minutes or so. Since I'm starting out after work on Friday, I usually pick a trail camp just a few miles out, and even then, I'm often hiking in the dark. And many times, the camps are crowded, but I can live with that. But on Saturday, I will usually take a different trail back to the trailhead, adding more miles to the trip. I did this earlier in the year to get ready for my week in Yosemite, and could usually manage to get in around 10 miles on Saturday. Also, this strategy let me visit places I haven't been to. In fact, I'm going out on Black Friday for an overnighter! Much better than battling the crowds at the stores!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

according to the OP's original post and his registered location, he's in Fresno. That means "draw a travel circle" from there and maybe a 5 mile trip in max.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

One night backpacking trips are common for m-f 8-5 working people that have weekends off as long as the drive isn't too far. Like get off work some Friday late afternoon, drive to a trailhead sleeping there, hike in not more than a few miles Saturday morning, in the tent that night, late morning Sunday start hiking out, then by early pm drive home. My log shows have done 36 one-nighters. Generally in wilderness areas one only has to hike in a single trail mile. There are of course lots of places one mile cross country from roadsides that can work also. I know many great destinations less than a couple miles from parking spots however for those that MUST hike in via a trail, next to a lake that has trout, numbers of worthwhile possibilities are a short list.

Ok here is one example typical of things I do all the time. And note you are guaranteed to NOT see any others and likely there will be little sign any others have camped thereabouts. Get a wilderness permit over the phone to Sierra NF set up for a night box pickup. Start up the trail from the east side of of Vermillion Valley Dam at 7580. Hike up 2.5miles to 8700 then leave the trail and hike towards the two ponds, 8834 and 8844. Either set up a campsite there or better climb up to the bench just east with smaller ponds and site with a canyon view that will also include Recess Peak. Best mid July.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.36784,-118.96013&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many other similar places once one abandons the on a trail and lake mind set.
Last edited by SSSdave on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

OP never mentioned trout. OP did want suggestions. Dave, maybe a suggestion?