Me and My Girls, 3 days in the giant Sequoias, 11-7-14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tallkan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Sequoia Family Hike 11-7-14

Post by tallkan »

Our wanderings took us only as far as the upper end of the canyon. As usual, many lessons were learned and many remembered that had been learned before. Zinc Oxide or other anti-chafing can be vital when hiking, especially with kids. Warm stones removed from the fire ring and placed in their sleeping bag works wonders on painfully cold toes. Restrictive shoes are always a bad idea, but especially so in winter when poor blood circulation can mean feet stay cold all day, even while hiking. The kids made decisions, chose gear, read maps, setup shelters. Many of the lessons learned were not taught by their dad, but were lessons they learned themselves. Through their own experiences and their own discomfort or inconvenience. Most importantly though, they learned that they can simply grab a pack, stuff some basics in it, put on their Chucks, and go for a walk in the woods. They did it so naturally and without any hesitation, even running ahead at night with bear tracks everywhere, that I cant help but feel a sense of pride and an immense excitement at what wonderful young ladies my little girls are becoming. One clumsy, muddy, beautiful, step at a time.
IMG_20141111_221152.jpg
IMG_20141118_190839.jpg
IMG_20141119_203317.jpg
IMG_20141114_184631.jpg
IMG_20141113_131647.jpg
IMG_20141111_220817.jpg
IMG_20141111_221600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tallkan
Topix Acquainted

New (improved) Sequoia trip report posted...I hope

Post by tallkan »

I hope i did a better job this time. If it's still a problem for some folks please let me know. i have alot to learn about this stuff still.

as for my original trip report...Family hike, Mountain Home....I tried to find a way to delete it but was unsuccessful. I hope I'm not being a nuisance. Feel free to delete my original post and this thread too if appropriate. Im cluttering up the feed I know. :)
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: New (improved) Sequoia trip report posted...I hope

Post by rlown »

the new report looks fine (located at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12051#sthash.ffUEsdJp.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and is speedy! I feel your pain in the resizing of pics but it's just part of the process and it looks like you have it down pat now.

A great report (again).

PS: you cannot delete your posts after someone responds. The decision to delete a responded thread lies with the Administrators. Also, do NOT put hot rocks from the fire near your polyester based products. Generally, a really bad idea.

Russ
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Re: New (improved) Sequoia trip report posted...I hope

Post by Tom_H »

rlown wrote:....do NOT put hot rocks from the fire near your polyester based products.
Amazing how easily a lot of modern equipment melts!
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Me and My Girls, 3 days in the giant Sequoias, 11-7-14

Post by rlown »

good job.

Trying to redirect the comments to your thread so..
Our wanderings took us only as far as the upper end of the canyon. As usual, many lessons were learned and many remembered that had been learned before. Zinc Oxide or other anti-chafing can be vital when hiking, especially with kids. Warm stones removed from the fire ring and placed in their sleeping bag works wonders on painfully cold toesf
Don't do that warm stone thing near modern gear; it'll melt.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Well, merging the three threads didn't go as well as I would have liked. Not easy to do - so lesson for us all here is to try to keep things to one thread. Much cleaner that way. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

A little late, but thank you for posting a fantastic trail report! Gotta love getting out and sharing the hike with your family! Kudos to you!!! I've been up to MHSP, but have never done an overnight out of there, but what a fantastic looking area. I just might have to go try a hike out of that area. Again, thanks for the excellent report.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead