Sierra Swimming Holes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra Swimming Holes

Post by Bluewater »

dbogey wrote:Swimming in Lake Marion was "Refreshing" but cold as hell and my hiking buddy probably heard my yelping a 100yds away when I jumped in.

Glacier Lakes are amazing and have beachfront property and I swore if i ever come back I'm bringing a raft with drink holder and parking it right on this lake all day

That spot looks familiar 'bogey:)

I used to pack an inflatable raft to our favorite secret swimming hole years ago. My brother found this spot before the internet by just searching topo maps for wide open granite. A group of us went every summer for 19 years until people starting getting married, having kids etc. We all have been sworn to secrecy regarding the location, although some of the old timers may recognize it.
sierra swimming hole.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Rubicon River during low flow has a ~50 meter series of awesome slides.

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Fran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Fran »

Aha! I love swimming and do it all year in an 80 degree outdoor lap pool in SoCal. This has been a great ocean summer too, with warm weather and water warmer than the last several summers; except for lots of rough wave days from the Baja storms. Those days were like swimming in a berserk washing machine. I also love the mountains (or I wouldn't read this forum). Have a split brain, between the Sierras and the Coast. On day hikes in the Sierras I have swam in June Lake (nice beach, water shallow this year, tolerable temperature); Dardenelles lake near Tahoe (beautiful setting, water warm enough by August); and good old Lake Tahoe (stayed in too long, close to hypothermic). Lots of wading in other lakes. That really cools down the blood!