Big Agnes Air Core Pads

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Big Agnes Air Core Pads

Post by gary c. »

Russ, I wasn't suggesting that carrying a combo of pads was a good solution. I pretty much said there was no benefit except to save a couple dollars. Some people just don't want to spend the extra dollars.

John, I own both types of pad and both make noise. Neither of mine make enough noise to be a problem to me. I had read the on-line reviews and had my concerns when I ordered my NeoAir XL pad. The NeoAir does make a little more noise but not much, maybe I got lucky. The important measure for me is the fact that I often share the tent with my wife who also sleeps on a NeoAir XL and neither one of us wakes the other tossing and turning at night.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Thanks everyone, I'll see if my local REI carries the NeoAir Xtherm, I only had a chance to lay on the BA insulated air core last time I was there.

I really appreciate the input. So, there's also an Exped Synmat UL to look into.

John
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

John Harper wrote:Thanks everyone, I'll see if my local REI carries the NeoAir Xtherm, I only had a chance to lay on the BA insulated air core last time I was there.

I really appreciate the input. So, there's also an Exped Synmat UL to look into.

John
I haven't tried the NeoAir Xtherm, but I have the original NeoAir which has been really good down to about freezing. I notice someone commented about the seeming fragility of the NeoAir, but I've had mine for several years now, and it's been really sturdy. I think I have done 12 backpacking trips this year, so I'm getting my use out of it, and it's holding up well.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I appears I'm leaning toward the Neoair Xlite. It supposedly has the same R value as my present pad and is listed as 3 season, which is fine for me. The Xtherm might be another option. I'll see if I can try them over at the local REI.

John