Bittersweet Goodbye!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Bittersweet Goodbye!

Post by krudler »

I wanted to say an unofficial goodbye to all you cool cats here, as on Jan 23 wifey and I will be driving off to start our exciting new life. We have to go back to Florida first to take care of some of her dad's estate stuff and sell his condo, but around May we are headed up to begin our big new adventure trying to eek out a living in Bozeman, MT. I am so stoked that I will be getting to live in such an outstanding place with easy access to awesome flyfishing and snowboarding, and be able to take up backcounty adventures in such awesome places as Yellowstone NP, the Gallatin Range, the Absaroka-Beartooths, Wind Rivers, Bob Marshall Wilderness, Glacier, and more on a much more routine basis than I do now!! WOO HOO!! :D

I want to express my sincere thanks to all of you who've helped me out directly with advice/info, or indirectly via the many great discussions I've read here. Back a few years ago when I stumbled upon this site I was just a new uninitiated guy from Florida with some big ideas, I'd like to think that now (in no small part thanks to your help/inspiration) I am now a fairly seasoned backcountry enthusiast. I started with a weekender and I've since cut my pack weight by almost half and have now accomplished a 6-day 35 mile solo journey, an 8-day 55 mile cross-country Silver Divide trek, and of course finally made it to Tehipite Valley!

I'll still be around, and hopefully later this year I'll have some pics to share from the wild and woolly northlands. But thanks to all of you, you are great! :)

Viva DomeLand!!!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

May you have many exciting new adventures in your new home!

I believe they now have access to the internet in Florida and Montanna :D There is a section here called "Beyond the Sierra Nevada" so you can keep us posted on the explorations of your new homeland.

Harry
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hey Krudler!

Look, I know I have had extremely little if anything to do with your positive experiences with all the HST'ers here, but I want to through in my encouragement and best wishes to you and family on your new adventure anyway.

First, we all have shared here a bond of love and fascination for the Sierra as maybe the most special place on the planet, and I know you'll take that with you wherever you go.

Next, I always get a laugh from your logo and signature here. You are a true original, as are so many of the folks here. So its been a pleasure to know you that way.

Finally, good for you to have picked Bozeman! What a gorgeous piece of territory in a grand state. My wife has relatives who live there, and we love that valley, the surrounding mountains, the superlative rivers, its history, and its outstanding people; we're sure you will too.

So, happy trails; See ya here again in the future! :)
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Keep in touch. My mom even mentioned something about Montaner a couple months ago, anything to get me out of the house since I stay with her during the week while at work. I have a distant cousin up there too.
Piece of cake.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Best wishes in Montana. Thanks to you too for your great posts and reports. Even in such a gorgeous place as Montana, perhaps the Sierras will pull you back every now and then. You won't be the first, if that happens.

Cheers,

John
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Yeah....what Randonnee said!

Hey, good luck buddy... :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Best of luck to you Mr. Krudler. We do expect to see some rockin' photos from around your new home! :nod:
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Ditto to all of the above. I've enjoyed your posts, and your beautiful pictures! Montana's great, though. If I ever moved from Washington it'd either be some place VERY close to the Sierra, or Montana. Good luck to you and your family!!! :rockon:
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Bozeman, eh? Sounds great! Interviewed for a job once many years ago in Bozeman, but didn't get it; beautiful place! Good luck to you!

But, as many have said already, don't think you can get away from HST quite so easily :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Good luck in your new home! We were in MT and WY in 2003 and had a blast! Be sure to check in here once in awhile. We might need to ask you about trips in your area!
:unibrow:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;