TR 11/5-6/2014 sweetwater 6 pack

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR 11/5-6/2014 sweetwater 6 pack

Post by Gazelle »

11/5/2014 The Sisters, East, Middle, and South 12 miles 5949 elevation gain 8 hours

Started at the corral off of fs 50 road, walked up the little smith valley trail/road around to the north west face of the east sister as VR and Sport had done to the summit, further than it looks a good elevation gain of 2500+ feet. Found no register so moved on to the Middle sister, yes there is some bushwacking but not to bad if plan your route carefully, down to the saddle. Up to the Nevada Lyon county high point that does have a register, signed, up to the Non valid old Von Schmidt state line carin.
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
Up to the actual middle Sister, found the register, signed and took pictures. Then on to the South Sister knew there would be some bushwacking but thought after the decent from the east sister it would be similar (not too bad)…I was wrong made it to the first saddle with some serious bushwacking!! Then worked around the west of the peaklet to the worst bushwacking encountered on the trip no good route that I could find, ripped my pants and shirt very glad I had gloves…was not enjoying this part AT ALL. Finally made it to the saddle where it became quite pleasant Yea. Made it to the summit, no register. Took the dirt bike trail straight down the north west side of the peak..that would be one exciting dirtbike ride! Continued into the coyote creek drainage staying somewhat to the west of the creek, decided I like cows they make good trails. Found a motorcycle trail and followed it to the little smith Valley road, passing the Nevada/ California border. Back to the car by 2:30. My Inreach se somehow powered off and I needed to let people know I was done for today so luckily I had cell service so texted everyone need to let people know you are alive especially going solo. Tried to get it to power on no luck.
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
1004.jpg
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
1007.jpg
1008.jpg
1009.jpg
1009.jpg
Anyway on to the drive to Wheeler and Patterson, turned at the Sweetwater Ranch took the left on fs198 and followed it past Belfort to the plateau parked up by a old mine, made dinner, tried to get the inreach to work, read and went to bed in the back of the truck. Started getting windy but woke to an amazing sunrise but could not take a picture as the camera battery was dead due to the cold temperatures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gazelle on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: TR 11/5-6/2014 sweetwater 6 pack

Post by rlown »

A nice report. I'm trying to come to grips with why people seem to need to be so connected.
Back to the car by 2:30. My Inreach se somehow powered off and I needed to let people know I was done for today so luckily I had cell service so texted everyone need to let people know you are alive especially going solo. Tried to get it to power on no luck. - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12001#sthash.gL2aiKU4.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You are obviously alive. why is the quick response necessary?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

11/6/2014 Wheeler, and Patterson 5.9 miles b1590 elevation gain 2.5 hours

Started at 7:30 as to let it warm up a bit and hoping the wind would die down..did warm up but no luck with the wind. Started up to Wheeler stopping by a high point on the way. Found no register, on to Patterson traversed over to meet the road, then road walked to some small high points and to Patterson, no register. It would have been much easier to traverse to the South sister from here even though it is a mile further each way then to do the horrible bushwack from the middle sister. Best thing would be to do the whole traverse ending at the plateau. Shuttle would be at most an 1 ½ hours. Was not to be for me, as I can’t find people who want to do these things. Took a 1 ½ hours to get to Patterson and 1 hour back. Got in the truck and headed back to FS 50 to go to Desert Creek peak.
1010.jpg
1011.jpg
1012.jpg
1014.jpg
1015.jpg
11/6/2014 Desert creek peak 3.43 miles 2610 elevation gain 3 hours
Take FS50 to the Y with Desert Creek rd take the right had to look at the map for this. Crossed a bridge then forded the creek to a turnout by the creek below the peak.

One of the most unappetizing looking peaks, and known to be a bushwack. Followed Petes description and headed for the southeast ridge. Started out decent with some sage brush and lots of downed trees but with some zig zagging not difficult, then it flattened out a little then the southeast ridge began, about ½ way up this it becomes a maze of bushes, trees, and downed trees. One needs to stop and look for the best route every 10-20 feet with no guarantee your route will not end in a blockade of hell (trees, bushes etc). I seemed to be in the footprints of someone or something prior part of the time but again that doesn’t really help. It seems to go on forever! I even crawled on my knees twice. You do break out every once in a while hoping the worst is over…nope. Made it to the peak no register but yes there are benchmarks from the Ca dept of transportation 3 of them, and a tower that looks to not be in use anymore.
1016.jpg
1017.jpg
1018.jpg
1019.jpg
1020.jpg
I did take the scree field down to the gully, again not easy by any means lots of sand sliding, which is better than the rocks as they all move. Down to almost the end of the scree went a little right into the trees to stay out of the gully and find more sandy sliding routes, every time almost to the gully headed right a little then down. Till I decided to cross the gully to the left and did the same thing till it flattened out then followed my ascent route down to the truck. Rinsed off in the very cold creek and drove out crossing the creek 4 times I think, to a huge graded road that takes you back to 338. I do not recommend this peak absolutely no fun, but nice views and it is an OGUL so had to be done…would NEVER come back to this one! 2 hours up 1 down bring lots of water. The dirt roads are really fun in this area would come back for that.

So 6 peaks 2 days and the Sweetwaters are almost done Mt Siegel remains. 48 OGULS down. And got the inreach to work when I got home think it had something to do with the update.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wow Kristine,

You are really knocking out those peaks! Sorry to hear about the bushwhacking between Middle Sister and South Sister. I'm glad we didn't try to bag South Sister from Middle Sister.

I think you are right about bagging South Sister from Patterson.

The climb up Desert Creek Peak sounds bad! I know Fedak kept repeating the sarcastic term "Good Times" in his report about the climb.

Thanks for all of the reports and take a break!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Russ I can say Dessert creek Peak has been the least enjoyable of all the Ogul peaks thus far. Yes his/ Fedak's good times comments are very correct. I do not think there is a pleasant way up or down it. As for the down part you just go and try to avoid the worst scenario before you...I guess the same for the way up! Can you tell I really did not enjoy this one very much but they all cant be perfect! Figured with no snow may as well have some fun. Just did Lookout, peep sight, Henry, and Bullrun yesterday TR coming, now that was a nice hike! You asked when I might finish the OGUL,s , I am now hoping before next summer. and if the weather stays nice sooner. I am kind of on a mission to finish. Then onto the next list think the Lake Tahoe/sonora list.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I am envious Kristine, stuck with hiking and running peaks under 4200 ft, and you
have the whole northern Sierra as a backyard.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I do love where I live, but stacked 2 cords of firewood today and need to do more. Not easy living where the normal snowfall is 40feet and I have a 3/4 mile driveway to plow! Live off grid on some acreage up here. Would not trade it for the world.
brvoyles
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by brvoyles »

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I need to get off my butt and finish these. I keep putting them off because of the drive. #-o

Brian