The High Sierra Library

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
larry1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: The High Sierra Library

Post by larry1 »

1) Exploring Eastern Sierra Canyons, Sonora Pass to Pine Creek

2) Exploring Eastern Sierra Canyons, Bishop to Lone Pine

both books by Sharon Giacomazzi, July 2009, published by http://www.boredfeet.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3) Angling Alpine, A Field Guide for Fly Fishing Alpine County, by J.E.Warren-Wickwire

contact Sorensen's Resort, Hope Valley, 800.423.9949
if fly fishing the Carson River and surrounding area, this is the guide
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

For folks that are really into High Sierra fishing, there are three out-of-print books that are worth seeking out:
First are the two classics by Charles McDermand:
Yosemite and Kings Canyon Trout
and
The Waters of Golden Trout Country

Another, less well-known narrative style book on the subject (that includes some stories from the Klamath Mtns wilderness areas and Lassen as well as the High Sierra) is Mike Hayden's
Fishing the California Wilderness.

Whereas fisheries management strategies have changed dramatically through the years, many of the waters described in these books are not much different than they were in these old, whereas others are dramatically different. One also gains an understanding of current issues in High Sierra fisheries from reading McDermand, too. For example there are a number of accounts of obese trout gorging themselves on polliwogs. Guess what kind of frogs those were.

What hasn't changed, though, is the mindset of the high country angler, be it refracted through the accounts of McDermand in the late 1940's or Hayden in the '70's or the accounts we see posted online today. Folks unfamiliar with these books will find them a very enjoyable read.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:nice list.. also no books in the last 10 years. Wish Cutter would update his with the help of the DFW.
Actually the key are the studies done for Seki and Yosemite, more than the DFW-associated works outside of the NPs, although both sources are needed for the full update. I would suspect that Cutter had the (then) CDFG data on which to base his trout distribution tables outside the NPs, so it was pretty accurate in those regions (I estimated that the list included 95 percent of the lakes with trout in non-NP areas). The NPs were another matter because the detailed records were very dfficult to find there. In Yosemite I estimate that the Cutter 2nd Ed list was probably short by about 10-15 percent, although he got one key lake that was missed by both Johnston and Beck (the one I fished last week). It was Seki that was the black hole for everyone. I do not exaggerate when I say the list in the 2nd Edition probably had less than 50 percent of the trout-bearing lakes in Seki. A cursory inspection of Sierra South would add dozens alone. I personally fished 74 lakes with fish not listed in the 2nd Edition that have fish and nearly all of these are in Seki (and those 74 exclude lakes that meet his "exclusion criteria" of rare or unique fisheries). There are an additional 7 lakes with the question mark symbol that I verified as as having fish, too. That might be viewed as the tip of the iceberg because I figure I've probably fished less than 20 percent of the trout-bearing lakes in Seki. Now I know certain folks associated with the frog habitat and restoration studies who have information on every last lake in Seki and Yosemite, so all the pertinent information can be had if an update project is to be undertaken.

However, perhaps now is not the time for the "Big Update". There have been a number of changes in management policy whose results will be played out in the coming years---whether some marginal spawning lakes maintain populations after air drop cutoff, for example. On the other hand, an update might be undertaken now, then a website set up for further incremental updates similar to what Climber.org did with Corrections to Secor (which was in fact done with R.J.'s blessing).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

giantbrookie wrote: However, perhaps now is not the time for the "Big Update". There have been a number of changes in management policy whose results will be played out in the coming years---whether some marginal spawning lakes maintain populations after air drop cutoff, for example. On the other hand, an update might be undertaken now, then a website set up for further incremental updates similar to what Climber.org did with Corrections to Secor.
Now is the time to have an accurate log of what is happening with all Sierra lakes. The CDFW online guide is a great start, but it takes resources. Your thread is what we have and BA to keep us kind of up to date.

NPS needs to step it up as well!!!!!

Probably not the right thread to post this on, but as you brought it up! :)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada; Clarence King; 1872
...A personal account - tall tales and many firsts... his explorations.
Other than being a bit of a racist (and - ARGH! - mis-use of the word Sierras all too often),
A great read.
Mountainman who swims with trout
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

"High Oddyssey" by Gene Rose
The story of Orland Bartholemew's solo winter journey in 1928/29 from Cottonwood Pass to Yosemite. A true Sierra Classic if there ever was one.

And, by one of our own: "Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail" Spectacular photos of the JMT
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

paul wrote:"High Oddyssey" by Gene Rose
The story of Orland Bartholemew's solo winter journey in 1928/29 from Cottonwood Pass to Yosemite. A true Sierra Classic if there ever was one.
Already in there. Gene would be flattered by your endorsement of his book (and he reads the forums from time to time).
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

Last month Pacific Book Auctions in San Francisco had an auction for "Yosemite and the High Sierra". Perhaps more out of interest sake than practicality sake, the catalog can be viewed here:

http://www.pbagalleries.com/view-auctio ... og/id/343/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-------------
Dave | flickr
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

JOHN MUIR TRAIL, 5TH EDITION, ELIZABETH WENK
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, MIKE WHITE
KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARK, MIKE WHITE
SIERRA HIGH ROUTE, SECOND EDITION, STEVE ROPER
ULTRALIGHT BACKPACKIN' TIPS, MIKE CLELLAND
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, 5TH EDITION, JEFFREY SCHAFFER

sorry about caps, got lazy

Many of us cut our teeth on the original Wilderness Press pocket size hiking guides of the HIgh Sierra, that included a topo map, but they(most?) are wayyy out of print, and too numerous to list
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

"Backpacking Magazine Trekking California", by Paul Richins, Jr.