Mountain Home State Forest, Balch Park, Tule River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tallkan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mountain Home State Forest, Balch Park, Tule River

Post by tallkan »

Anyone have alot of experience in the area of Mountain Home State Forest? I'll probably hike out of Shake Camp this weekend and explore the area a bit. Info is spotty though.

Are many of the trails in the Tule River canyon worthwhile?
o many of the trails get intersected with roads and fire roads? The trail down to Wishon?
Any areas to avoid due to development, horse or 4x4 traffic?
Any trail loops in the canyon that feel slightly remote enough for family backpacking?

I know going north up the Tule to long meadows is nice, but I'm wondering about the area in general in case there are some cool loops that feel somewhat remote. I'm not planning on climbing to higher areas above so just information regarding the extensive network of trails down in the canyon would be helpful.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mountain Home State Forest, Balch Park, Tule River

Post by maverick »

Check out one of new members GTW site (joshuacourter), it may have some helpful info
about those areas: http://goldentroutwilderness.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

tallkan wrote:Anyone have alot of experience in the area of Mountain Home State Forest? I'll probably hike out of Shake Camp this weekend and explore the area a bit. Info is spotty though.

Are many of the trails in the Tule River canyon worthwhile?
o many of the trails get intersected with roads and fire roads? The trail down to Wishon?
Any areas to avoid due to development, horse or 4x4 traffic?
Any trail loops in the canyon that feel slightly remote enough for family backpacking?

I know going north up the Tule to long meadows is nice, but I'm wondering about the area in general in case there are some cool loops that feel somewhat remote. I'm not planning on climbing to higher areas above so just information regarding the extensive network of trails down in the canyon would be helpful.
Yo I've been up the tule river, long meadow trail to summit lakes and blossom lakes backpacking. Don't know about going there now, maybee summit lake. I don't know much about the other trails there. If you need any info about those email me. I also have pictures on my Facebook of those trips.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

There are cool backpacking camps along the tule river. Easy hiking and giant sequoia trees. I love mhsdf it's like a little secret area. Defiantly worth wile if it's still open.

Here's from my trip a few years ago some along the tule.

https://vimeo.com/m/66692489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

redwoodhikes.com has a good amount of information on MHSF and Balch Park/McIntyre Groves. And every other grove in California.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Some of the best free car camping semi primitive campgrounds left in the Sierra Nevada that are usually nearly empty. Superb location to get away from others and take it easy. Have been there in the fall, late October when dogwoods are turning. A couple weeks ago yeah but by now all that is history.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_05-BB-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tallkan
Topix Acquainted

Post by tallkan »

@maverick. GTW's website is awesome, looking into it!!

@Beantown. Cool man thanks! So you mostly stayed on the trail that goes up the canyon to Summit lake? Do you remember about where the forest border is or the Golden Trout Wilderness border? Im having trouble finding maps that show if I will need a wilderness permit. Im only going to Long meadow, about 3/4 of the way up Tule river canyon. For the MHSF I think I only sign in to the trail register.

@AlmostThere. cool resource thank you!!

@Dave. Im excited about finally exploring the area. Im finding lots of intriguing stuff to do there and very little information, which is always a good thing!!
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

tallkan wrote:@maverick. GTW's website is awesome, looking into it!!

@Beantown. Cool man thanks! So you mostly stayed on the trail that goes up the canyon to Summit lake? Do you remember about where the forest border is or the Golden Trout Wilderness border? Im having trouble finding maps that show if I will need a wilderness permit. Im only going to Long meadow, about 3/4 of the way up Tule river canyon. For the MHSF I think I only sign in to the trail register.

@AlmostThere. cool resource thank you!!

@Dave. Im excited about finally exploring the area. Im finding lots of intriguing stuff to do there and very little information, which is always a good thing!!
The gtw border is not far up the trail you will need a permit. Summit lake is on the border of snp. I believe you need to contact the springerville ranger station.

I've always seen bear tracks and scat by long meadow. Be aware